BLACK OUT! Tank Hair Algae War Begins! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
BLACK OUT! Tank Hair Algae War Begins!

Ok... so I brought back plants from the San Marcos River and set up a new ADA tank. The DFWAPC went on a field trip there. Well since then I have been fighting hair algae in that tank in a very unrewarding, unsatisfactory way. (The plants had it on them.) I've turned down the photo period and continued to pick it out. I went on vacation for almost 2 weeks and with no one here to pick it out this is what I came back to...

I'm sure you see how filled it is. Before I took these Bill had already removed this much again! NOW is the time to bring out the big guns and be done with it. I'm going to do a complete black-out

1. First I get all I can out with a toothbrush, hands and a water change. Here are the px after this step. You can still see filaments of the hair algae on the rocks and in the plants. It does look much better. At this point I'm going to feed the fish for the last time before the blackout.

2. Now I'm going to unhook the CO2 and turn off the lights so that they will NOT come on for 4-5 days.

3. I'm using black contractor bags to cover the tank. I have made sure the entire tank is covered and NO light can get in. There is enough static electricity in the plastic to keep it close to the tank. I don't have to tape it on or anything. Here is a px of it covered.

4. ALL done and now I have to wait 4 -5 days before I can open it up. There will be NO PEAKING.

5. After this I will do a water change to get any dead or dying stragglers (hair algae, not fauna), I see out in the water. Then I will dose with H2O2 everywhere I see any remaining hair algae.

I'll post in 4-5 days and include pxs so you can see what progress I've made. I'm also hoping Bill will make me a light hanger so I can raise my light. That is one of the reasons this has taken off so well in this tank. I might loose the Elatine triandra but the other plants should be ok.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Unveiled the tank today. It's day four. I would have waited til tomorrow but my son wanted some of the small cories I got for him and he was leaving today. They are in this tank.

Here are pxs of what it looks like now.

RESULTS: The algae is considerably weakened. Much has disappeared. There is still too much left. I dosed with H202 (peroxide) and will change the water. I unplugged my filter while the peroxide bubbled. I'm going to redose with peroxide each day for a week, following with water changes and see how it goes. I may have to do another black out.

I have almost lost the Elatine triandra. I have a couple little nodes where it might regrow. I'll have to wait and see. The other plants look ok. As you can tell I need to trim and replant. I wanted to wait until the black out in case I had to try to salvage any of the plants.

If I can get some Amano Shrimp this week it will all be good and I'll be set!!

FYI all fauna is fine.

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode