Ok... so I brought back plants from the San Marcos River and set up a new ADA tank. The DFWAPC went on a field trip there. Well since then I have been fighting hair algae in that tank in a very unrewarding, unsatisfactory way. (The plants had it on them.) I've turned down the photo period and continued to pick it out. I went on vacation for almost 2 weeks and with no one here to pick it out this is what I came back to...
I'm sure you see how filled it is. Before I took these Bill had already removed this much again! NOW is the time to bring out the big guns and be done with it. I'm going to do a complete black-out
1. First I get all I can out with a toothbrush, hands and a water change. Here are the px after this step. You can still see filaments of the hair algae on the rocks and in the plants. It does look much better. At this point I'm going to feed the fish for the last time before the blackout.
2. Now I'm going to unhook the CO2 and turn off the lights so that they will NOT come on for 4-5 days.
3. I'm using black contractor bags to cover the tank. I have made sure the entire tank is covered and NO light can get in. There is enough static electricity in the plastic to keep it close to the tank. I don't have to tape it on or anything. Here is a px of it covered.
4. ALL done and now I have to wait 4 -5 days before I can open it up. There will be NO PEAKING.
5. After this I will do a water change to get any dead or dying stragglers (hair algae, not fauna), I see out in the water. Then I will dose with H2O2 everywhere I see any remaining hair algae.
I'll post in 4-5 days and include pxs so you can see what progress I've made. I'm also hoping Bill will make me a light hanger so I can raise my light. That is one of the reasons this has taken off so well in this tank. I might loose the Elatine triandra but the other plants should be ok.