[RAOK thread, could use more comments] current state of things - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
[RAOK thread, could use more comments] current state of things

So here is how the tank currently sits. It needs some help... i have 4 t5ho, pressurized co2 and am dosing ferts. substrate is top soil capped with eco complete.

I need new plants, not sure what... or where to put them. I'm also contemplating removing the slate and replacing it with some additional driftwood.

I need a little push in the right direction And would really like to accentuate the large driftwood to the left that looks like a steer skull
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scapegoat; 08-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
it will look better once it gets filled in. Looks good so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like the DW on the left side of the tank and agree that it will look good once it fills out more.
How many gallons is it/what fish are in there?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I'm not crazy about the slate. It takes up room and doesn't do much for the scape. Green mass behind the dw would make it pop and stand out.

Perhaps a larger leafed plant like Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' or an Alternanthera reineckii variety? Maybe a Barclaya or Madacasgar lace... There are so many choices.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I agree with replacing the slate. Put another piece of driftwood or a large plant in that area and I think the tank will look much more full.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknwar View Post
it will look better once it gets filled in. Looks good so far.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by razalas5 View Post
I like the DW on the left side of the tank and agree that it will look good once it fills out more.
How many gallons is it/what fish are in there?
55g. current inhabitants are approximately 20 white cloud mountain minnows (half of them yellow), a yellow BN pleco, a false zebra pleco, 4 black neon tetra, 4 blood fins (going in my 20 when it cycles), 3 cories (need more i know) and a lone Ninja Shrimp that i only see about once every couple months haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
I'm not crazy about the slate. It takes up room and doesn't do much for the scape. Green mass behind the dw would make it pop and stand out.

Perhaps a larger leafed plant like Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' or an Alternanthera reineckii variety? Maybe a Barclaya or Madacasgar lace... There are so many choices.
will take a look at those large leaf plants, i really do like the look of them. The slate was originally put in as "caves" for the pleco and he quite likes them. maybe i can get some moss to grow over them to hide it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
I agree with replacing the slate. Put another piece of driftwood or a large plant in that area and I think the tank will look much more full.
i'd love to find a bunch of rib shaped drift wood to put there, get some cover from it and still kind of mesh with the steer shaped DW that is there now.

thanks for the recommendations, i think i have some plants to look into now!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (62/100%)
Nice set up... I may consider downgrade the size of the slate or create an asymetric pile of slate pieces; its color matches the driftwood nicely... maybe some plants that attach or grow into it will work -I think of Hydrocotyle sp or a moss of your preference.

You do need more plants in there but so far you have a nice hard scape there; just a matter of filling the spaces.

Good luck with Bettatail's nice ROAK!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good luck scapegoat!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepetj View Post
Nice set up... I may consider downgrade the size of the slate or create an asymetric pile of slate pieces; its color matches the driftwood nicely... maybe some plants that attach or grow into it will work -I think of Hydrocotyle sp or a moss of your preference.

You do need more plants in there but so far you have a nice hard scape there; just a matter of filling the spaces.

Good luck with Bettatail's nice ROAK!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo
Hydrocotyle would look great around the sides of the slate. I've got a decent amount of dwarf hairgrass on it's way that was destined for the 20l (that is in dire need of co2 haha) but i'm thinking once that comes in some stuff will get moved from in front of the slate (was only there to grow a bit) and try to hide the front of the slate w/ the dwarf hairgrass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscichlid View Post
Good luck scapegoat!
thanks, you too!

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Using soils/NPT in general with new setups even more so large hardscape items that block the gas exchange in and out of the substrate is something I avoid. As others have already posted opinions on the slate I'm adding to that, it really doesn't do much for you. I'd replace it with green.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Using soils/NPT in general with new setups even more so large hardscape items that block the gas exchange in and out of the substrate is something I avoid. As others have already posted opinions on the slate I'm adding to that, it really doesn't do much for you. I'd replace it with green.
this is a very good point. however i am concerned about displacing my pleco. I assume he'd move over to the drift wood though... it certainly is a nice piece of real estate that would look better green.

I also have star grass in my 20l that isnt doing so well right now... no co2, too much lighting. So i'm thinking i'll move that over to the 55g here. place that in front of the Hygrophila sp 'Tiger' and then the hairgrass in front of that?

On an off note, i have mosquito larva in the 20l and nothing to eat it... would extra dosing of excel help to kill those and the algae i have growing?

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I don't think Excel would effect the larva but I never tried it.
hehe catch a few in a cup of tank water and see how they like H2O2.
At 10ml/g I know it kills bacteria and algae or get a single guppy from the LFS.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
get a single guppy from the LFS.
i like this option actually... i don't think one would have an issue surviving in the tank at this rate.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Sorry I missed ya, I thought I wished every contestant good wishes, but seems I have forgotten you. Best of luck.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
This might be a bit generic and general but it could help.

http://www.aquajournal.net/na/basics/basics_03.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode