EI Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI Dosing

Hi all, what will happen if i dont do a weekly water change to re set the tank with EI Ferts??

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The purpose of the water change at the end of the week in an EI routine is to 'reset' the available nutrients in the water that wasn't consumed by the plants. Please correct me if I'm wrong; that's how I understand it.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

erm, thanks but i did kinda say that, im wondering what happens if you dont do it weekly...?
Does it cause algae or become toxic...???

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry didn't fully read it.

One of my 2.5 has an EI style routine, but within the last month, I haven't changed the water. GSA and GDA on the glass. My conclusion is excess nutrients = algae bloom. Doesn't seem to be toxic because my cherries are still alive and acting normal.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Following the full EI dosing schedule as it's presented in basic format I'd think the excess would become very high in even 2 weeks but I've yet to read any reports of a fish kill. If your not able to do the scheduled change why not just cut back a bit on the dosing?

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its not that i cant do the change its more that i would like the knowledge. If im running a routine i would like to know in advance what the consequences of failing to complete the routine would be.
Fore warned is fore armed!!!

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

Last edited by eser21; 08-07-2011 at 06:58 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Eventually you'll reach toxic levels. The water change is essential to the EI method.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, this hasnt scratched my itch... has anyone tried only bi weekly changes to see if it changes how EI works??
I know it sounds stupid but when i get things in my head i have to poke it till it bleeds and i have a definitive answer.. lol
I know that EI is a proven method and Tom Barr took what im sure was a long time to refine the process im just curious....

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eser21 View Post
Hmm, this hasnt scratched my itch... has anyone tried only bi weekly changes to see if it changes how EI works??
I know it sounds stupid but when i get things in my head i have to poke it till it bleeds and i have a definitive answer.. lol
I know that EI is a proven method and Tom Barr took what im sure was a long time to refine the process im just curious....
sounds like an experiment....you should get on that and let us know what happens.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
sounds like an experiment....you should get on that and let us know what happens.
Hahaha, maybe. Im not so sure im ready to risk my tank right now, i just got to a point im happy...ish. Still got plans lol

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
You can see what will occur ppm's wise...............:

DIY ferts for dry and solutions:
http://calc.petalphile.com/

Graphing:
http://ei.petalphile.com/

Plug some no#'s into the graphing and see.

You'd still need to relate this data to toxicity, of which we simply do not know what the toxic ranges are for virtually all species, we know what they are not..........which is well within manageable levels.

Even if you dose 2-3x a week and do a water change once a month.

My Example:

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can skip a few day of dosing if you're too lazy to change the water. My jungle tank consume quite a bit of nutrients. If I don't dose for a few days it would exhaust all of the nutrients.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

My Example:

When I start EI dosing I'm hoping to do 2-3 a week and water change 1-2 times a month.

Beautiful tank Tom

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
the way i understand. EI is relative to your needs. its adjustable. estimative. "oh i think i need more calcium ill just throw more in..." highern utrients dont seem to cause algae problems, its unhealthy plants IMO.. will you eventually build up toxic levels??? maybe, depends on ur plant load i would imagine. however... if ur have a PERFECTLY balanced setup it could take months before u need to do a change.. start testing your water and see what happens.. 2-3 x the recommended dosage levels dont hurt anyone

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You can see what will occur ppm's wise...............:

DIY ferts for dry and solutions:
http://calc.petalphile.com/

Graphing:
http://ei.petalphile.com/

Plug some no#'s into the graphing and see.

You'd still need to relate this data to toxicity, of which we simply do not know what the toxic ranges are for virtually all species, we know what they are not..........which is well within manageable levels.

My Example:

First off that is an amazing looking tank!!
Thanks for the calculators, i will have fun with that over the coming days....
Hope you dont think a noob aquarist from a little island is questioning your well thought out and proven fert program
Im thinking i might reduce my dosing to 3-4 days just because i find it difficult to do the change on the same day each week.

Now Tom if you can just write down a program to creating a tank like this then we will all be happy!!

How is it soo LUSH? Puts my feet firmly back on the ground!

Thanks again

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode