What's Your Earliest Memory of Aquarium/Planted Tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking What's Your Earliest Memory of Aquarium/Planted Tanks?

Share your stories

Sorry if another thread like this exists, I didn't see one in the search.

My first aquarium was your average small tank with feeder gold fish in it, that grew from an inch to +4 inches in 4 years before we gave it away. I remember winning it in a local festival where you have to fish it out with a net made of paper. I didn't win it, but the lady gave me one for free since I kept losing.

I got my first "planted" tank when I was 10 years old. I used to keep small fishes and shrimps found in a local marsh in a 2.5gal tank. This was back in Japan when my father was stationed there. Who knows, the shrimps I caught could have been amano shrimps! But I doubt it, if I remember correctly, they looked more like the ghost shrimps. Also, I used hair algae and random rocks with algae for tank decorations. The shrimps would like for a couple of weeks to months, then off to the marshes again for new ones. Cruel, I know.

I was 15 when I started to keep shrimps and fishes (bettas) the way we treat them now.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then

Last edited by PinoyBoy; 08-07-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ahh...I remember my first tank very well. It was a 10 gallon. ICP's Riddlebox had just came out so the pebbles on the bottom were purple and neon green. (hey, dont judge me!) I had a few plastic plants and a green/purple plastic flower in the middle. (keeping with the riddlebox theme) I also had the old standard broken in half ship with bubbles coming out.

And hows this for overstocked! I had 4 head and tail light tetras, 3....yes I said 3 angelfish and 2 ruby barbs. Believe it or not, I didnt have many problems! Ahh...good times! (and yes, the angels were moved to a larger tank as my obsession increased...)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
For my ninth birthday I got a 10 gallon fish tank. This was back in the olden days, it had natural gravel as the dyed stuff cost more if it even existed, a corner bubbler box filter and a val and anacharis for decoration. Stock included a red female swordtail [dumb, I wanted to see the sword!], a female black molly, couple of head and tail light tetras and an albino cory. Hated that cory's pink eyes! The female livebearers did their thing and we had to rush out to buy a mesh breeder cage for the babies. One of the black molly babies survived for 4 years. I hated that the fish hadn't any place to hide and that the plants wouldn't grow under the single incandescent bulb. Have been overcompensating for the past decade with loads of light and a jungle in huge tanks!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
My first planted tank was a 32 oz glass jar with sand, vallisneria and guppies from the river. The guppies were all dead the following day. My mother gave me a 5 gallon tank that I planted with vals (river sand substrate, no filter) and placed it on the east facing window. The vals grew fast and the platies didn't last.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
At the risk of dating myself. My first tank I remember vividly purchasing over 40 years ago from Sears. It was a 5 gallon wth a metal frame and I thought it was huge as I was walking out the store with it. Don't recall the initial stocking however.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
When I was six I traded some stamps for a pair of Guppies. They lived in a pickle glass first, and served as a reason to buy a real aquarium. That's when it all started for me.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I remember when I was six years old and we had this same 29G Metaframe tank set up in our old farmhouse in the hallway before the house was totally remodeled...

This picture is from just last week. The tank had sat in the barn for 35 years and I had to reseal the seams to get it ready to roll again. I have some riparium plants in there now and I am going to add a single fancy goldfish and a little group of white cloud mountain minnows.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
My first memories of fishkeeping are from when I was around 4 or so. My cousin in China had a heavily overstocked little tank (couldn't have been more than 3 gallons), but had a bunch of livebearers and they were really prolific! Combined with a book about fish that I got from one of my preschool teachers, that's what got me interested. I got my first tank (a 46 bowfront that I still have now) when I was 6 or so. I populated it with various community fish, and it was an angelfish, a swordtail, a platy, and some black neon tetras that ended up living for years. I a 2nd tank when I was around 9 or so, and a few more several years after that. Now I have 5 tanks running, but 2 of these are emersed plant tanks.

My first experience with planted tanks was when I was maybe around 7. I got a plant (probably non-aquatic) from a store, and it ended up dying. When I was 9, I went to visit my cousin in China again. During my visit, she got a 30 gallon tank, which I helped her set up with various plants and such. Since it was China, there were many plants available for cheap. Unfortunately, the tank disintegrated from poor maintenance once I left and is now a planted goldfish tank. With that experience, I plotted to start my own planted tank. However, I didn't get around to it until 2 summers later, before I was to start middle school. I went to PetSmart and got a dual T5HO light (despite my dad's insistence that sunlight was enough) and some plants (all aquatic). I replaced the aquarium's previous silly background and decorations with plants. However they all ended up dying. The oldest plant that I got that summer that I still have now were some Crypt. wendtii. Gradually, I improved my tanks, but there were many difficulties, especially with hair algae and cyanobacteria. I got into emersed plant tanks the next summer, using an old tank that was actually bought as a fake fish tank (all previous equipment removed though). I still have that tank today, and it has some sunset hygro and anubias growing very nicely in it (these were the original plants in the tank). Now my tanks are doing quite well, and hopefully they will continue to do so for a long time.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
At the risk of dating myself. My first tank I remember vividly purchasing over 40 years ago from Sears. It was a 5 gallon wth a metal frame and I thought it was huge as I was walking out the store with it. Don't recall the initial stocking however.
I had an old metal framed 10 gallon once. If I remember correctly the bottom was made out of slate rather than glass.

I was pretty young when I got it, but it was already quite old. I don't remember ever seeing metal framed tanks in the stores when I was young.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
50+ years ago as a kid I started out with jars to put plants, hair algae, bugs, fish, etc. Eventually I got a 5 gal metal frame tank to play with. Upgraded to a 10 gal metal frame as an early teen with tropical fish. They got sold at a yard sale while I was in the Navy. Picked it back up as a young adult with a 29 gal all glass with top and bottom plastic frames and clear silicone. Got my current tank 20 years ago as an emergency replacement for my shattered 29 gal. Started it back up again just this last April.

Hope to keep at it this time until the end of my allotted time. Much bigger tank(s) of course. I've always wanted a huge expansive planted tank, but just couldn't due to various life's circmstances.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
My dad always had a fish tank growing up. He kept his 30 gallon tank set up and had a 5 gallon spare. I remember going out to the creek one summer with my sister. We used a plastic peanut butter container that we'd washed, along with it's lid, to catch about 20 minnows from the creek. I well remember the sunburn we got that the hours we spent trying to catch those fish!!! We put them in my dad's 5 gallon tank and kept them all winter. I don't remember having any gravel or a filter on that tank, though I'm pretty sure we did have a bubbler. We kept them all winter (didn't lose any of them) and released them back into the same creek the following spring/summer.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
We had this same tank and they look so cool with all the chrome, it's the '57 Chevy of tanks. We always raised guppies that bred like crazy and we spent most of our time trying to figure out how to get the fry to adulthood without killing them in the little hang on plastic breeder box. Ours was in the dinning room in front of the windows and I don't remember having any filters, heaters, stone in the bottom, just a bare tank with fish. I'm guessing we did such a poor job of keeping fish that we were not allowed to get any frills for the tank.

How cool to see that tank again hydrophyte, I mean I knew they were out there but seeing yours in such good shape really hit me in the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I remember when I was six years old and we had this same 29G Metaframe tank set up in our old farmhouse in the hallway before the house was totally remodeled...

This picture is from just last week. The tank had sat in the barn for 35 years and I had to reseal the seams to get it ready to roll again. I have some riparium plants in there now and I am going to add a single fancy goldfish and a little group of white cloud mountain minnows.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Nice idea for a thread!

My very first memory was my brother catching a fish in a pond and bringing it home dead and putting it in a fishbowl. He was so heartbroken that it didn't 'wake up' that my mom got us goldfish from the bait shop which I named Goldy-locks and the 3 bears (even though there were only two fish). I was four. They grew up and lived many, many years.

Planted tank was in the summer of 2008. After trying to grow dead (didn't know it at the time) java moss for months, stumbled upon this site and feel in love with dewalltheway's tank.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
50+ years ago as a kid I started out with jars to put plants, hair algae, bugs, fish, etc. Eventually I got a 5 gal metal frame tank to play with. Upgraded to a 10 gal metal frame as an early teen with tropical fish. They got sold at a yard sale while I was in the Navy. Picked it back up as a young adult with a 29 gal all glass with top and bottom plastic frames and clear silicone. Got my current tank 20 years ago as an emergency replacement for my shattered 29 gal. Started it back up again just this last April.

Hope to keep at it this time until the end of my allotted time. Much bigger tank(s) of course. I've always wanted a huge expansive planted tank, but just couldn't due to various life's circmstances.
PM you back and forth many times but never realized how long you have been in the hobby, and the whole time I thought you were high school student. lol

I got out of the navy reserve as PO2, because didn't feel like want to stay in the reserve but don't want to go back active again(prior active duty marine),

I didn't own a glass fish tank or my first store sold tropical fish(guppy) until I was 9, before that I kept the fish that I caught from the creeks, rice paddle field, or fish pond, put them in the jugs, sinks, and rainwater drain well(outside of my house).
The wild caught fish were all tropical and some of the species look much better than the store sold at the time, now I can find them in the stores...
shrimps, caridina or neocaridina, no matter how nice they looked back then, I caught them in pounds, to feed my cat...

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was young. Maybe 8? Won a goldfish from a game of chance at the 4H fair. Put it in a glass planter of some type my mom had. Been at it ever since, but got multiple tank syndrome too bad. 3 max.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode