what to do with 20g high - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
what to do with 20g high

Ive got a 20 high tank that was given to me. Im afraid to use it for fish because of two things--the age ( 1987 ) and the main reason--one word written on the rim--MICE. I dont know if it will hold water and I dont know if there is leftover bad stuff from the mice that may leach into the water.

So, Im looking for an alternate use for it. I thought about just doing some emersed plants in it. A lizard would be possible I guess. It isnt really well suited to a viv/terrarium setup but I suppose it could work. ( edit ; After a little searching it actually looks like it could be OK for a viv/terrarium ) I dont like rodents--they smell bad.

Any other suggestions? I may just slice it apart and use the glass for lids or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why can't you just try filling it up?

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
Why can't you just try filling it up?
eh, where is the fun in that? lol. Ive already got full tanks coming out of my ears.

I actually am researching fire bellied toads right now. Im leaning in that direction.

Anyone have any experience with the fire belly toads? It looks like they would be a pretty easy critter to keep. I could put 4 or 5 gallons of water in it without it being too deep for them. Then I could put some of my endler/guppy fry to use as food. Still more research to do.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your right about not filling it up, small mammal and lizard tanks are made to withstand heat and impact pressure, not water pressure. As far as ideas, if you like creepy crawlies I hear millipedes make good pets!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
A 20H is a nice shape for a high-humidity riparium. You could get some really cool emersed crypts and other plants going in there.

If you can take a few hours for it it's not so hard to reseal a tank. For a wholw tank you would want to get the big tube of the GE Type I silicone. Then you just carefully scrape all the old silicone away from the inside and carefully apply the new seams.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Im trying to accomplish something I havent seen in a fish room. I want to have all of my tanks be different styles.

I already have a;

high tech planted
low tech planted
shrimp only
riparium
nano planted

I have plans and under construction tanks for ;

mbuna
brackish
south american biotope ( 180g with cichlids )
iwagumi
shell dwellers
dutch planted
west african biotope

I guess a high humidity riparium and a low humidity riparium are different--but the same.
I think a vivarium with froggies would be a good addition to the room. Maybe I will plant some crypts in it if the humidity is high enough. How much moisture do most crypts need when grown emersed? I would be aiming for about 80% for the toads.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should look into building a paludarium. They're pretty awesome and it's something I've always wanted to do but never had the space. Then you can grow epiphytes and have frogs, geckos etc.

-John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode