help snail problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
help snail problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my tank is having snail!! i think it ram horn or something and they are all over the place, they only show up on the wood at night time, but day time you dont really see them....how do you get rid of them!?!?!?!? help!!!

I love angelfish!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I don't know if it works for all snails, but I've read here that you can wilt a piece of lettuce (dip it in hot water) then put it in the tank. You may have to weigh it down. The snails will mass on it to feed - just remove the lettuce with the snails & dispose of them. Not outdoors! Don't let the critters get loose as they are pests & most likely not native.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Add some Botia or Loaches. Also try Assassin Snails. Puffers.

You can bait them, trap them or squish them with your fingers till the cows come home but it'll be useless... you'll never get them all.

Find something that will eat them and keep them under control.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
driftwoodhunter is correct this is a very effective means to manually remove them. Personally I suggest getting an assassin snail or two or more depending on the size of your tank. I think these snails look good and they will work all day eating snails. Its surprising how much of a difference just a few of them can make.

I was battling a snail problem in my 55g that seemed to never end, got a few assassin snails and they cleared it right up.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank and I will give it a try!! i really have no ideas how they got there... assassin snail seen cool! i have a 30 gallon, how many should i get?

I love angelfish!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
One or two should be good. If you give them about a week you should start noticing some empty shells on the bottom of your tank.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 on assasins. Most other fish that eat snails are either bigger or need to be kept in a group. assasins are really the small tanks savior if you dont like your snails. They dont bother me in the 220, but my 10 gal has about 500 or so, so time for an assasin for me too!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow... awesome...

I love angelfish!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
you don't have a snail problem, you have an over feeding problem

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm....i think it came from the plant i brought, but i checked the plant and dont see any snail

I love angelfish!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Is there a site that shows different types of snails, I have some very small kinda flat with the shell is somewhat spiral, like a some stepped on a Malayan Trumpet Snail and flattend it. It's most likely a pest like a pond snail but I've never seen one.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
here is some info on disinfecting plants before putting them in your tank...I use the potassium permanganate and it works great. hasn't melted anything, even valisneria..
http://www.aquajake.com/blog/plantin...fore-or-after/
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

niceeeee

I love angelfish!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 AM

I have a snail issue in my 55 gal. Got 2 assassin snails about a month ago and except for some of the really small ones they are all gone.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I had both ramshorns and pond snails. I got 3 assassins for my 12 gal and they helped, but what helped the most was putting my tank on a light and food starvation diet for a week (family emergency and nobody available to come and feed the fish). I came back nervous about what I would find and discovered that all my fish were good, all my nerites and assassins were good, and I haven't seen a pest snail since.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode