Emergency Need Help !!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Emergency Need Help !!!!

Ok, so yesterday I changed about 30% of my 40 gallon tanks water while I was battling to remove some of this green algae that has been growing on my plants. After doing the cleaning and water change I observed the fish for a couple of hours and didn't notice anything weird with them before going to bed. (I have 4 rummy nose, 8 Cardinal, now 4 chained loach used to have 5, 2 gold rams and 3 otocinclus) These fish have been living together for almost two months now without issue. Anyway, when my lights came back on in the morning today, I noticed that sadly one of my chained loaches had passed, I assume sometime during the night. As a result, I thought my water change must be the culprit because I also now noticed the fish panting near the top of the tank. Oh by the way, I do not run co2 of any kind. After doing some initial water test I found that Nitrite is 0, Ammonia is 0, GH is 5, no chlorine, ph is 7.4. Because of the results I am not sure what the issue is. My tank is pretty heavily planted if that info helps.

Please some one help. Thanks in advance for the information and responses. If any information is needed regarding my tank please let me know. Thanks again

mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

given the situation, should I just start doing a water change? I don't know why my fish are panting
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Check the temp. You could change the water again or crank up the air stone, if you have 1.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Something is obviously stressing them? Hows ur water movement? Do u have air stones? Its very odd that u should be having a problem after a water change??? Maybe ur water has chloramines in it? I doubt it because u would have noticed by now.. if u stirred up a lot of the substrate there could have been a release of decay causing an ammonia spike. Test the water again, increase surface agitation as ur fish are obviously having trouble respirating.

And like mirra said check temp

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Other than temp ...did you treat the water when you put it in? I understand there's no chlorine, but how about chloramines?

And I don't suppose you added Excel?
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I did a major water change on one of my tanks and disturbed the sub when adding the new water. Even though I cranked up the filter to clean up the debris I had stirred up, the next day the ammonia was through the roof.. check that ASAP. Regardless you need to do a water change, but for the sake of knowing check the ammonia levels now.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
+1 for all that. Do more water changes as well. Test the water out of the tap.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the advice, I move my canister filter outake so that it makes the water splash a bit on the surface. I do not have air stones as I have never used them but do you think I should go and buy one? I also added some more of my water conditioner because you mentioned chloromines HD but I am pretty sure that isn't the issue because I added water conditioner to the new water before adding it to the tank. About the temp Miira, I noticed that the water seems to be 1-2 degrees cooler than usual. Could that be the culprit? the tank water is now 76 instead of the usual 78. Thanks again for all the responses guys

Mark
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Other than temp ...did you treat the water when you put it in? I understand there's no chlorine, but how about chloramines?

And I don't suppose you added Excel?
I did treat the water with my water conditioner before adding it to the main tank. although the temp is a bit lower 76 rather than the normal 78
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
I did a major water change on one of my tanks and disturbed the sub when adding the new water. Even though I cranked up the filter to clean up the debris I had stirred up, the next day the ammonia was through the roof.. check that ASAP. Regardless you need to do a water change, but for the sake of knowing check the ammonia levels now.
I checked ammonia and found it to be zero when I checked. Do you think it could have spiked during the night and then returned to normal by now in the morning? Should I do a water change now anyway?
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Regardless of whether you've always done it or not, have you done *anything at all* to the tank since shortly before the water change? Added any chems?

Also, have you added any fish in the past week or two?

No, two degrees temp difference would do nothing.

What kind of water conditioner are you using?
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post
+1 for all that. Do more water changes as well. Test the water out of the tap.
I'll test the water out the tap right now. thanks for the input.
Oh should I just test ammonia, nitrite, and gh?
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
is the pH of 7.4 normal for your water and aquarium?

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I don't think pH would cause things to go sideways like that. You added new tap water you said? Ammonia would not spike considerably then subside in a period of a few hours I think. It would require intervention. Save enough of your tank water to test it but for sure do a partial water change now.

When you changed the water, you added conditioner I assume and the bucket or whatever else you used was a water change only container that would not have accidentally gotten soap or had some residue leftover??

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
I don't think pH would cause things to go sideways like that. You added new tap water you said? Ammonia would not spike considerably then subside in a period of a few hours I think. It would require intervention. Save enough of your tank water to test it but for sure do a partial water change now.

When you changed the water, you added conditioner I assume and the bucket or whatever else you used was a water change only container that would not have accidentally gotten soap or had some residue leftover??
yes the bucket i use is only for my fish water change and nothing else.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode