Betta ate my Endlers... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta ate my Endlers...

Bugger, turns out that my research was wrong...

I had added a small colony of Endler's livebearers, 3 males and 3 females to my tank which contained a male betta and everything had been fine for a few weeks. The betta gave them an inital chase, but shortly thereafter gave up as they were much faster and as the tank is quite heavily planted.

But today when I was about to feed I noticed the male Endler's were missing, and that I had rather a fat betta... which might explain why I haven't seen but one of my cherry shrimp lately either, ouch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
IMO betta are best as singles without tank mates
if you are going to have tank mates they need to be peaceful fish that are bigger than what the betta can eat, and even then bettas can be pretty territorial and aggressive no matter what you put with them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think bettas can get along well with other fish that won't fin nip them, however it is best to add the other fish first that way they can "claim" the territory. It's always best to add more aggressive fish after the other fish have been established. I keep a male betta in a 10 gallon with 5 white cloud minnows and 3 albino cory cats with no problems. Of course, plants and hiding spaces always help and fish personalities can always differ.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yup, every one is different.

Mine totally ignored B. brigittae, which are much smaller than Endlers... but did love the Cherry shrimp.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode