Help me ID some plants please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Help me ID some plants please!

Are any of you guys good at IDing aquatic plants??? I collected some on sunday and i need some second opinions. All these plants were growing marginally or somewhat submerged in Yates City Illinois in some strip mine lakes my family partially owns. Pictures and descriptions follow.

1. This is what i believe to be Sagittaria Latifolia. I'm 99% sure of it.

Growing in about ~4-5" of water in full sunlight. This was one of the smaller specimens. Biggest was about 24" tall

2. I did a lot of searching on the internet, and this is what i *believe* to be Persicaria hydropiperoides (formerly the genus polygonum)

Growing from about 6" of water all the way to about 1-2 feet on the shore. Full sunlight.

Closeup of leaf structure:

3. I have no freakin clue what the hell this is. Haven't found anything close yet.

It was growing about half aquatic (anywhere from about a 1-12" of water) full sun. There was tons of this stuff everywhere. Here is a closeup

Root system

Bigger specimen

leaf shape

4. This is definitely a type of eleocharis species. not sure of which. There is literally an unlimited supply of it up there though because it was growing in lawns in just about all of the 5 lakes. It grows mostly immersed, but there were good portions of it submerged. I collected both.

submerged growth. it is notably smaller

Immersed growth. Taller, and starting to flower i think

I tried to get a picture of the flowers or seeds or whatever you wanna call them.

Thats all the pictures i have. I wish i could have taken some of the plants growing naturally, but cell phones don't like wet swimming shorts. Sorry about the crappy phone pics. Its the best i have at the moment...

These were just some of the plants i had not collected there before. There are literally tons of different full aquatics and marginals up there, but a lot of them are pretty common. Its definitely a cool place.

Thanks in advance

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
nobody?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you aren't able to ID them via this or similar forums, your local Dept of Natural Resources (or whatever Illinois calls it) can probably give you a contact to the diversity biologists that could ID them in the dark, in their sleep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The first one, btw, is probably the "arrowhead" plant, but what specific specie, I have no idea.

See this search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=arrow...ed=0CBAQ_AUoAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode