i think it's time - i got the clove oil, now what? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy i think it's time - i got the clove oil, now what?

my betta has had a tumor for more than a month now. i have noticed the last few days that he has been resting more on the bottom of the tank or on the leaves of the plants. he has been resting on his side.

last night he had trouble finding the food, well, he could see the food but he had trouble getting it. now, today, he really wasn't too interested in the food at all. i gave him some white worms and he seemed a little interested but he couldn't quite get them. he ate one small one and then gave up.

in the past few days his fins have gotten kind of holey and almost frayed looking (he is a tail biter and it is nothing like that, it seems the middle of his fins are coming apart).

i just went out and got some clove oil. i really hate to see him suffer. his tumor just keeps getting bigger and bigger he is not doing well at all.

i have already read on here that the best way to euth a fish is to cut their spinal cord but i can't bring myself to do it. also, i feel that putting pressure on his abdomen to hold him to cut his spinal cord will put a lot of pressure on his tumor and will really hurt him.

please help me.

i feel so awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Algae Grower

Don't feel bad I have had to do it twice with a couple of plecos. Get a ziplock bag and fill it with water from the tank and put him in there. Make sure it's a 100% clove oil!! If it is not it might not work the best. Once he is in there put a capfull maybe 1.5 caps in the bag and seal it, mix it around and just watch to make sure he stops breathing. Just to make sure I would leave him in there for an hour so that they had no chance of waking back up Sorry for your loss I know it sucks! Once he is knocked out you could also put him in the freezer to cover all your bases. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks.

the clove oil doesn't say it is not 100% clove oil. it sure smells like cloves. it is life brand (from shoppers drug mart in canada) and just says "clove oil bp"

i think i will get my husband to help me with this when he is done working.

thanks again.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry to hear.

I've read that it's best to use clove oil as a sedative and once the fish is asleep, add vodka (about 25% of the the holding container's volume) as the final step. I guess freezing accomplishes the same thing...
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Member

Yeah. Use the clove oil and when he stops moving, freeze him.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks guys.

i just checked on him and he was laying on his side in the tank. i hate to disturb him because i don't want to make him expend more energy than he needs to.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Freezing or vodka is not how to do it, I'm pretty sure it burns the gills. I didn't use vodka, what I do is get a small container with a small amount of water, and shake it. How to Kill a Sick Fish Humanely | eHow.com

I just had to euthanize my girl last Tuesday. At an OD level, it kills the fish over the course of 30-60 minutes, it's already sleeping. Then wait more and once the gills aren't red --respirating--, bury him.

I'm real sorry about your little guy

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

I'd think that shaking it would be a much more violent death, hard on the fish and on the owner.

I'd think that once you put them to sleep, you'd want to quickly decapitate them. That would make it quick and they would experience no pain.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, you don't shake the fish. You add the oil into the water, shake it so the oil disperses well, then add the oil-water to the fish's water. Then you repeat a few more times. Sorry for that...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

Clove oil knocks them out pretty quick. I had to use it with a couple seahorses and it works fast.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you.

i just can't bring myself to decapitate him, no matter how humane it is, i just can't do it.

if i add the clove oil to the water with my fish (he is in a 20 gallon tank with no other fish) what will happen to the plants/sand/soil?

i plant to put some new fish in there in a week or so and i don't want to harm the new fish.

maybe i will take him out and put him in the container i use to transport fish. then add the water and clove oil to that. will that be ok?
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, put him in the transport container, or a tupperware container, and add clove oil. Not in your main tank.

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've used ice water a couple of times. They are usually dead within 30 seconds.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks.

i will put him in the container soon. he is just laying there

i don't think i will do the ice water. i think the clove oil is the best option for me. thanks, though.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

The clove oil is going to act as a sedative though, you're going to need to have him dead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode