salt water tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
salt water tank

hello I have never kept a saltwater fish tank and would to try a small 10 gallon one, with a firefish goby and and some kinda cleaner fish(not sure what typ, recommendations are welcome.

here's my questions:
1) what kinda supplies will I need(want to get info from experienced salt water tank keepers, not noobs at pet stores)
2) what's a general salt water cleaner fish(that's stays very small)
3) any other info for a salt water novice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
doubt you will get much help with this on this forum, not trying to run you off or anything, but most people deal with freshwater on this forum b/c freshwater is where most plants grow.

There are people who deal with saltwater setup here, hopefully they will chime in, but you might find more answers on a forum for saltwater fish keeping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
You'll get better answers on a forum dedicated to reefs.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh sorry thought this was a general forum
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

I've kept a 90 gallon reef for a few years. In saltwater, you aren't really going to find cleaner fish, you will need a cleanup crew composed of snails and maybe hermit crabs. You will want some sort of mechanical filter-a small power filter would work, and you may want to look into a nano skimmer. For supplies, you will need sand, rock, a relatively powerful light if you want to keep corals, and of course, salt. I highly recommend joining 3reef. It's a great forum for all things saltwater.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Very few saltwater fish will earn their keep as cleaners if by that you mean cleaning the tank for you. If by cleaner fish you mean one that eats parasites from other fish those have a dismal survival record. I've run SW tanks as small as 2g successfully for years with nothing more than a PC light, 25w heater and a HOB filter. Water changes are your friend here. Main concern on smaller tanks is keeping things consistent. Evaporation and top-offs can mean a real roller coaster ride if you don't stay on top of it.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

By cleaner I meant something like the Cory catfish, who sreach the bottom of the tank for left over food
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

Again, for the scavenging leftovers role in a reef, especially one that small, you're going to want a few snails and hermits. I can't think of a fish that fits the bill of the one you're looking for.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what a physical filter, a small power filter would work, nano skimmer. can I use the normal filter
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
no a normal powerfilter (like a hang on back) will not skim the water. At most it can act as a mechanical filter, but will also act as a nitrate factory. For my reef, I use mainly live rock for bio filtration, and a protein skimmer to skim out wastes in the water. I don't even have a filter sock in my sump, it just drains into a clump of chaeto macroalgae.

They make hang on back protein skimmers for smaller tanks.

You probably want to go onto a reef forum though for some more info. try nano-reef.com, this is a freshwater planted tank forum.

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

stupid nano-reef site, it worthless, create make new thread to ask for help
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Algae Grower

if ya need help i think i can help just message me

I love angelfish!

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3reef is yet useless to, I can't seem to get specific answers
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
a 10g will be harder to keep than a bigger tank. less stable, but its not impossible. you can get by with an aquaclear filter with possibly a small decent quality lighting system. use crushed coral as a substrate, it can be cleaned easily. sand will be a pain in the butt. get a small power head for circulation. a small heater is a must too. you can keep a fire fish and maybe a clown fish with an anemone. you may also want to place some base rock in the tank and get some hermits and snails. the base rock will turn into live rock if you place a good quality piece of live rock into the tank. the live rock will also act like a biological filter. with a 10g tank you will need to do water changes every week or 2. you do not need a skimmer if you keep up with water changes.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
and get a shrimp! coral banded shrimp or fire shrimp is a must

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode