IAPLC 2011 and "abovewater landscape replication" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
IAPLC 2011 and "abovewater landscape replication"

http://acuariorosa.com/2011/08/02/th...-contest-2011/

One of the things I've noticed with the top tanks in this year's IAPLC is that many of the tanks ranked highly by the judges are basically underwater representations of abovewater locations, up to and including fake "pools" and "waterfalls".

When I look at Amano's work, his tanks - with the possible exception of iwagumi - never try to replicate an abovewater landscape. The whole concept of landscape replication feels more like the model train hobby than "Nature Aquarium" to me.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are there only photos of a few of the entries?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I know i'm still new at planted tanks and all but I like the more underwater natural looks but would like to find the top part of a statue of liberty and some nice rocks and do a planet of the apes scene. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMan View Post
Why are there only photos of a few of the entries?
IIRC All of the photos aren't usually officially released until the Nature Aquarium Party which is like some time in October, I think.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
The hobby is dominated by Asian influence, so they get to decide what looks good. The underwater landscape trend is not just an interpretation of Amano, but rooted deeper in Asian culture (I always think of bonsai).

In the 90's, dutch style was en vogue as they were the driving force of the hobby. Everyone wanted big groups of stem plants from tropica like those dutch tanks. Of course, this style has roots in their culture as well.

These days, European interest in the hobby has leveled off and most US hobbyists have never really been into aquascaping.

What I find interesting is the contrast to the reef side of the hobby where Americans dominate the hobby. It's all about huge tanks, 100 different species of wall to wall corals, $1000 neon carpet anemones, and big flashy fish. Polar opposites.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
The hobby is dominated by Asian influence, so they get to decide what looks good. The underwater landscape trend is not just an interpretation of Amano, but rooted deeper in Asian culture (I always think of bonsai).

In the 90's, dutch style was en vogue as they were the driving force of the hobby. Everyone wanted big groups of stem plants from tropica like those dutch tanks. Of course, this style has roots in their culture as well.

These days, European interest in the hobby has leveled off and most US hobbyists have never really been into aquascaping.

What I find interesting is the contrast to the reef side of the hobby where Americans dominate the hobby. It's all about huge tanks, 100 different species of wall to wall corals, $1000 neon carpet anemones, and big flashy fish. Polar opposites.
It is also a lot easier and much cheaper for some hobbyists from the Asians countries to get the necessary materials to do a fine aquascape. Take Hong Kong for an example, anyone can go down to the 2-city-block fish street and get any aquatic plant, fish, invert, equipment, driftwood, ada stones imaginable. For Americans, it is much harder and much more expensive to get started in the hobby.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
One of the things I've noticed with the top tanks in this year's IAPLC is that many of the tanks ranked highly by the judges are basically underwater representations of abovewater locations, up to and including fake "pools" and "waterfalls".

When I look at Amano's work, his tanks - with the possible exception of iwagumi - never try to replicate an abovewater landscape. The whole concept of landscape replication feels more like the model train hobby than "Nature Aquarium" to me.

What do you guys think?
Well, they seem to be that direction because that's the main place something "new conceptually" is.

NA are based a great deal on Japanese landscaping. Take a look at the gardens and such in terrestrial systems.

The Dutch do this as well FYI.

Applying it to submersed systems is not particularly "natural".
Horticultrals, but not natural. The inspiration might come from nature, but the scene itself in rarely from an aquatic submersed system, Reef folks are far more ahead on this one as far as "nature".

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I have to say, #16 - the first pic that came up, had a neat background painted (or a photo) that was wispy clouds in the sky. Perfect for this kind of scaping! I bet we'll be seeing that all over the place now! lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I have to say, #16 - the first pic that came up, had a neat background painted (or a photo) that was wispy clouds in the sky. Perfect for this kind of scaping! I bet we'll be seeing that all over the place now! lol
I really want to try this kind of effect with a shadowbox + printed image...just need ot have enough extra cash for an expensive large print onto clear laminate.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Some of these tanks are truly a how in the world did it place so high kinda tank. One of them is almost a 100% rip off of one of amano's tanks (tank 110)

we'll see how these place in AGA, aren't the judges for AGA american?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Well, they seem to be that direction because that's the main place something "new conceptually" is.

NA are based a great deal on Japanese landscaping. Take a look at the gardens and such in terrestrial systems.

The Dutch do this as well FYI.

Applying it to submersed systems is not particularly "natural".
Horticultrals, but not natural. The inspiration might come from nature, but the scene itself in rarely from an aquatic submersed system, Reef folks are far more ahead on this one as far as "nature".
I agree with you that NA draws inspiration from Japanese landscaping, my point was more that Amano's work stops at "inspire" whereas IAPLC seems to favor "inspire then replicate".

Reef folks more natural? Maybe. Most folks go out of their way to put the gaudiest corals together in densities that would get the polyps killing each other off within a year. It is, however, a scene that has more in common with nature than a "garden" aquascape.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I really want to try this kind of effect with a shadowbox + printed image...just need ot have enough extra cash for an expensive large print onto clear laminate.
Is this so the photo is illuminated within the shadow box? (like a light box?) Have you priced this at a sign maker's shop - sometimes you can get great bargains there. We have a sign maker in a nearby city that will print your photo on a vinyl shower curtain - a beach scene, your kids playing in the pool, a creek bed - so many options!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
I agree with you that NA draws inspiration from Japanese landscaping, my point was more that Amano's work stops at "inspire" whereas IAPLC seems to favor "inspire then replicate".

Reef folks more natural? Maybe. Most folks go out of their way to put the gaudiest corals together in densities that would get the polyps killing each other off within a year. It is, however, a scene that has more in common with nature than a "garden" aquascape.
Gaudy? We will ignore all discus folks 100%

They tend to go out and look at the reefs, they tend to go out and see what is there, what parameters, actually measure things and measure them well, FW people? Nope, not even a little bit............

Very little.............

Reef scape designs are fairly tired though, but I have seen some cool stuff on both sides.

Still, a single Front of tank full shot and nothing above the lip sort of sucks and limits the aquarium and it's artful display into the living space.

T%he Dutch often judged this aspect FAR FAR more than any ADA contest, which essentially gives no merit to the tank's placement in the home/living space.

ADA does do this at the shop headquarters.......at his own home......for client's etc.....but not for the contest. Videos seem much more fair and details about each aspect of the tank etc, but/that's a lot of work also to do.

Hard to say.

Such issues make me feel unable to be a judge. I cannot come to terms with my own thoughts, how can I judge others?

I cannot in all fairness, it would feel like a job I do not like.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Is this so the photo is illuminated within the shadow box? (like a light box?) Have you priced this at a sign maker's shop - sometimes you can get great bargains there. We have a sign maker in a nearby city that will print your photo on a vinyl shower curtain - a beach scene, your kids playing in the pool, a creek bed - so many options!
If you did the photo well.............you could fool the judges easily into thinking the tank is much larger and has much more depth than the tank actually does.
You could take other images and add them to your scene in front and have the rear a pic.........why not if clouds are allowed, orange sunsets and other stuff?

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Iwagumi is about as "Above Water Landscape" as I can enjoy.
But then when fake ponds and Flame moss that looks like a Tuscan tree is thrown in I start to lose interest.
I like tanks with sandy riverbeds and anubias hills on the side because I think that's what I would see if I were swimming in the amazon - assuming the water was clear enough.
I also don't mind the ones that make good representations of tree's, number 25 for instance looks quite nice.

I'm interested to see what third place looks like, the contestant is from Russia, which is the only reason I'm curious.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode