MP40W wave maker? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
MP40W wave maker?

How beneficial would an MP 40W wave maker be in a 120g planted tank? Im sure it would look really cool to see the waves making the plants sway back and forth.... im asking because they are 450.00 and I want opinions before I buy one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Agreed, it would be cool, but I can't think of any way to justify the expense.

I have looked into them before but only for marine aquaria. They simulate the ebb and flow of ocean waves and are intended for reef tanks with sensitive corals. Most coral prefer a somewhat random current (as opposed to a powerhead that just blows it in one direction all the time) but I have never seen any ill results from a constant directional flow in any of my planted tanks.

It is a cool product. I would love to have had one on my old reef. But I really don't see the need for it in a planted tank.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (34/100%)
Hello i just got me a MP40w gen2 at ebay used for 280. I will be using it on my 90g tank. The MP40w gen2 has a flow of 500-3000. The new MP40 ES has a flow of 1000-3200. Using it on a planted tank will be benificial as Tom Barr is using it on his tank and he had talk about the importance if flow in the tank. Other people using it as a laggon mode in planted tank they said its great.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Pros:
- Move lots of water with very broad flow
- Different programming options allow you to dial in the right amount and type of flow
- Minimum in tank footprint

Cons:
- Expensive
- Make noise
- Can be finicky even if adjusted correctly
- Did I mention expensive? You can use the 10% discount code at Big Al's, though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I had an older version for my reef and it was cool. but I didnt have that many corals. thats why im thinking it would be cool with my plants. would the plants like it or would they seem aggravated by it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Want to save some cash, http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Ocean...FIPHFF-vi.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)
I think that would be pretty cool. I had one on my 125g reef when it was set up and it kicked ass. Its is a bit noisy, especially when its in the higher settings, but it will crank out some really good flow.

Did they ever fix the magnent problem? I had one of the originals and the wet side magnent would break down after 6 months or so. But that might only be a problem with saltwater.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
how much do you know about these?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I like the MP vortechs due to the lack of a cord in the tank, that cool factor is nice, they are also very user friendly.

That said........they cost ALOT and they are not the most efficient watt per gal moved(due to going through the glass to rotate).

There are some interesting options and some nice comparisons.

The sure flow adapter for Maxi Jet is a real, good cheaper version.
I saw a neat rotating top mount flow device that Ecosystems had at their shop, not sure if they sell them.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Johnny313 I have had them in my tank for 4 to 6 weeks and they have been working well, the only drawback is short cords (3') besides pumps being in your tank. They throw a wide gentle flow, I have the 550 gph pumps but could easily use the 1600 gph pumps in my tank, and the price makes them very attractive.

Like plantbrain said the Vortech's have a lot of very nice features and the best is less pump in the tank, I think they also have a slow start feature so they ramp up to full power, but the price is out of my range.

I looked at the Korilla(?) and MaxiJet with the adapter but the size and price was better on the JBJ so I took a chance and so far have been very happy.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, I almost forgot this thing DaveK sent me, the ReefKeeper lite is also a pretty cool wave maker slash timer, etc. that you should check out. It's definitely a value packed little unit that can be upgraded but I decieded not to get it because my timers are working fine and this would just be spending money on a new toy. I read a bunch of reviews and they seemed to be good and most of the negatives were people with little or no software or computer knowledge.

There are so many cool gadgets on the saltwater side, it pays to look around at http://www.MarineDepot.com but be careful or they'll get your whole wallet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode