Tank takes a full 180 "HELP" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Tank takes a full 180 "HELP"

So in about a week my tank has gone from good to literally, please excuse my language, but to [censored][censored][censored][censored]. The tank was going great, plants where growing and spreading rapidly but, after my weekly water change it just went down hill. Only things I changed was add root tabs. A day after the water change I had an explosion of brown hair aglae, the stringy hair version and the spotty kind. The next day staghorn and then BBA.

Here's my set up.

- 45 gallon tank
- 2X39W T5HO right above the tank.
According to hoppy's graph i have high light.
- pressurized CO2. Drop checker is always a yellowing green color
- also have plenty of water flow.
- dosing EI for ferts plus root tabs
Oh and the tank has been running for more than a month.

Any help will really be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A month isn't all that long. You still might be gowing through some new tank growing pains.

High light can make these more troublesome. It may be worth your time to raise the lights up for awhile.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Either raise your lights like sharkfood said or take one of the bulbs out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Decreasing exposure time could help too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im gonna raise my lights and she what response I get.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
There's another thing that changed in your tank lately, water temp. I live only 30 miles from your location and last week we had extreme outdoor temps and even with my central AC set at the same temp (74 degrees) my water temps were up from 79 to 82 degrees. This doesn't sound like much but it lowers the disolved oxygen in the water and with the added heat and some nutrients may be enough to put your tank into a spiral along with your other changes.

Along with less light you may want to reduce the EI dosing a little, I also use root tabs but only need to dose EI amounts for a 50 gallon tank but my tank is a 150. Reduce a little at a time, I dose wet so a full dose (150) is 60 ml of my solution so I would first try 40 ml for a week or two and then adjust again if needed. Apply this to your tank and the amount of ferts needed.

This might all change in the cooler months of the year when my water temp is 76 degrees and controlled by the heater, but for now high summer temps are playing with are little eco-systems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode