what should I trim in my jungle?

my fish are limited to the front!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Then that is where they shall stay!!!

I think the huge sword? (can't really tell with the pic) in the middle is the obvious choice. Though it is nice.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love this tbh I wouldnt if the fish are happy =p

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love it! I wouldn't trim any of it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
its not really a jungle yet. When the fish start getting stuck in your plants... then its a jungle. A few of the als on your right side could use a trimmin. but everything else I would leave just the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Both of my tanks are getting kind of jungly too...but none of my fish are getting stuck in the plants. So, I'm not trimming either!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
i trim all plants every saturday but I think the i may pull one or two swords out
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No need to pull anything out. it's kinda in a "filled" status already.

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

the picture looks like there is room for some reason...... I think I may want to remove a few plants and go with a few 'harder" ones to grow...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Probably because the plant in the front is so full.

I would be plotting a new scape now that there is a lot of plant mass and can see how things grew out. I never leave well enough alone.

Swords are beautiful plants, easy and fast but over grow most any tank. My 150 gallon tank was half filled with one rose sword. One single crowned plant. Keep them to the sides in the middle so you can enjoy a little of the natural grace and pull off the oldest leaves to attempt to keep them in check. Some aquarists have tried root pruning to limit growth but since aquatic plants get lots of nutrients from leaves rather than roots probably doesn't work all that well.

Those lilies are tank busters as well. Soon they will be sending up aerial leaves that float and will block all the light to the other plants. Watch for new leaves that come out green on top and have really strong veining on the bottom. They are the culprits, go ahead and see how one develops if you like but snip out any new ones you see.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Probably because the plant in the front is so full.

I would be plotting a new scape now that there is a lot of plant mass and can see how things grew out. I never leave well enough alone.

Swords are beautiful plants, easy and fast but over grow most any tank. My 150 gallon tank was half filled with one rose sword. One single crowned plant. Keep them to the sides in the middle so you can enjoy a little of the natural grace and pull off the oldest leaves to attempt to keep them in check. Some aquarists have tried root pruning to limit growth but since aquatic plants get lots of nutrients from leaves rather than roots probably doesn't work all that well.

Those lilies are tank busters as well. Soon they will be sending up aerial leaves that float and will block all the light to the other plants. Watch for new leaves that come out green on top and have really strong veining on the bottom. They are the culprits, go ahead and see how one develops if you like but snip out any new ones you see.
I didnt realize how big the sword would get. the 4 in the tank are from one sword. one shoots out from the top and begins to grow roots.... i cut them and replant. I cut those lilies every day! its a never ending battle.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I was thinking about moving the swords to the back right on the tank. You cant even see the ones that are there now. will I piss off the swords by moving them? what kind of swords are they anyway?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny313 View Post
I was thinking about moving the swords to the back right. Will I piss off the swords by moving them? what kind of swords are they anyway?
Depends on how long they have been in place?
Swords throw massive root systems out over time.
Best way (imo) to move one is wasting a pair of scissors cutting through the sub around the base about an 1" or more from the plant, remove any damaged leaves and reset the plant. Most of the time I just leave them in place removing the outer leaves around the base to control the size.

Hard to tell in the pic but looks like an Amazon
HTH

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I am going to cut the leaves that are reaching the top of the tank. hopefully it wont hurt the plant. my main problem is that I put the plant directly in the middle of the tank not thinking how big it would get. This is my first planted tank with CO2 and t5's, so its kind of cool to see everything grow like this!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode