another surface agitation question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
another surface agitation question

I know there are currently two other threads about surface ripple on this page--but I think this one is a little different.

I know that surface ripple is desired in an aquarium for oxygen exchange--or at least we have come to believe that, and it makes sense. We also know, or believe, that floating plants do a very good job of 'cleaning' tank water. My question is, what is the best way to combine the two? My floating plants grow the best when they are sitting still as if in stagnant water. Am I to believe that this is bad for the critters or is it good because of the nitrate hogs floating on the top?

I suppose you could have the best of both and have a ripple on the tank and use something like fishing line to keep the floaters stationary. Once my floaters cover the tank there isnt much ripple anyway.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I was thinking that theoretically you can get lots of agitation without actually moving the surface of the tank's water very much. I have an aquaclear powerfilter, and when the tank is filled to the top there is barely any movement and floaters thrive. Yet I believe there is still lots of air exchange from the agitation of the water in the filter prior to its spilling gently into the tank.

I am sure others with more experience will have interesting and more informative things to say on this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I was referring to a canister filter setup in my situation. I have a tank that has ZERO agitation and is COMPLETELY covered in floaters and I also have a tank that has lots of ripple but the floaters wont grow.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What I do on my tank to separate out different types of floating plants is use the floating "feeder rings" they sell. These float on the surface to give you a smooth section of water to do feeding so your filter doesn't blow the food all around the tank. I've seen them from just a few " in diameter to quite large.

Anyway, I've put a few of them in my tank and put different floating plants in each one to keep theme separate from each other and from my duckweed that I use as goldfish food.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode