Glass types. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Glass types.

Does it really matter that much? I've been considering a GLA 60-L (60cm tall tank) for the longest time now and I finally noticed that it's normal glass instead of the high-clarity "Starphire" glass. For $40 more, I could get an ADA 60-P with this high-clarity glass. Is it really THAT much more noticeable? I get the feeling that I'm going to regret getting the GLA though due to the fact that it'll pretty much go something like "well darn...I wish I had ordered that one instead..." when it arrives. Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I put up with years of hobby-abuse using acrylic tanks because of their clarity. I loved the look of a clean viewing area. I absolutely *hated* how easy it was to scratch, and how much hard work it was to remove them when they inevitably happened. If it were me, and $40 stood between 90%+ clarity and green glass, there wouldn't be .02 seconds worth of discussion. I wish my pockets were deep enough (or craigslist was used enough) for me to afford starfire...

Good luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would say that if you're going for a really nice show tank (and are capable of doing it), that the starphire may be a good investment. If you're just starting up a tank to have a tank, or even if it's a show tank in your living room, it may not be worth the money. The fact is that if you have a haze of algae on the glass, it doesn't matter if it's starphire or not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

$40? Are you serious? End of discussion.

:-)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
That's a tough one. I doubt anyone will look at a filled tank and go - wow! so clear! is that low iron starphire glass?

There is supposedly a slight blue/green tinge to regular glass, visible when you look at it from the side. Now looking straight through it, you'll not notice much difference. Furthermore, our eyes adapt well to color changes so unless you have two identical tanks side by side it will be pretty much impossible to tell any difference.

That said, when I built my 250gal tank, I went with Starphire/low iron glass. The panel thickness is 1/2in, so I wanted the clearest glass possible. And the difference in price was only like $50 (I bought it from a glass shop), I felt that was a justifiable expense for some piece of mind, knowing I got the best...

For a smaller tank with thinner glass, the effect is going to be small, if noticeable at all. $40... tough one. If this is what you make in an hour, I'd say go for it. If you work all day for this, maybe not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Don't forget that it's not just the glass types that's important, but also the silicon job as well. ADA tanks has practically no visible silicon at all. As someone who's seem them in person, I can't say the same for GLA and Mr. Aqua tanks.

Tony

My

and my

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

$40 an hour? Pfft. I wish. I work at a grocery store making $8 an hour. The only thing that makes me able to spend as much as I can is low expenses.

That being said, does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of normal glass vs Starphire glass? I don't plan on keeping any competition tanks or anything fancy like that...I just want something that's quality and that I'm satisfied with. My current tank is a 20g from Walmart from YEARS ago and the glass looks fine to me (micro-cuts from random sand granules aside and a grind mark from the side of the counter)...I was just wondering if for only a $40 difference would it be worth it to make that upgrade.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
Don't forget that it's not just the glass types that's important, but also the silicon job as well. ADA tanks has practically no visible silicon at all. As someone who's seem them in person, I can't say the same for GLA and Mr. Aqua tanks.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. That would fall under the "quality" part of my last post. Sorry I didn't notice your post beforehand.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
That's a tough one. I doubt anyone will look at a filled tank and go - wow! so clear! is that low iron starphire glass?

There is supposedly a slight blue/green tinge to regular glass, visible when you look at it from the side. Now looking straight through it, you'll not notice much difference. Furthermore, our eyes adapt well to color changes so unless you have two identical tanks side by side it will be pretty much impossible to tell any difference.
Please to respectfully disagree. I see a plain difference between low iron glass and regular float glass. It's why I put up with the nonsense of acrylic tanks for as long as I did.

I will concede that acrylic is lighter, too. But frankly, that's not much of an concession knowing that it's easier to flip over while buffing it out....

I sure do wish they'd invent a plastic that had the optical attributes of acrylic that you could walk past without scratching.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode