Anti-siphons go bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anti-siphons go bad?

Has anyone ever had their anti-siphons go bad? I have them on my air pumps. The air pump I have feeding my 50g is a dual output, so I have 2. We lost power for about 2 hours the other day and before I knew it there was a pool of water on my floor. (I built the room my aquarium is in so luckily I designed it to be safe from flooding) - but I had the anti-siphons on the hoses, but they were still letting water through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yes the do go bad and I try to put them where there will less pressure and/or use. For instance you are using them on you air lines that go up and over the rim of the tank, so if you put it in line over the rim just above the water line there is very little pressure, but if you put it an inch from the pump water could fill the line every night when the pump turns of making the valve work every day until it no longer functions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Yes the do go bad and I try to put them where there will less pressure and/or use. For instance you are using them on you air lines that go up and over the rim of the tank, so if you put it in line over the rim just above the water line there is very little pressure, but if you put it an inch from the pump water could fill the line every night when the pump turns of making the valve work every day until it no longer functions.
That's a good idea - I will get a new set and move them to the top of my tank. My air pumps never turn off, but I have them half way down the back- so the water pressure would be greater there.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

In cases where we are talking about air lines, the best thing to do is to mount the air pump above the level of the tank. That way, if can't back siphon and you don't even need the check valves. You can get a similar effect by first running the air line tubing way about the level of the tank water and back down.

If that is not possible, get some of those quality brass check valves, like the ones they use on pressurized CO2 systems. The aquarium grade check valves are not the best quality and will fail sooner or later.

In all cases check valves must be tested from time to time. All it takes is a little dirt in one to keep it from working. Using an air filter after the pump can sometimes help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode