Help battling algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Help battling algae

Helloooo there. I have an algae problem. Not sure what kind, but it looks like black or dark green spots mostly on my plants. I did a MAJOR cleaning today. I pulled out every plant and rock and soaked them in potassium permanganate then sprayed with undiluted Seachem Excel and left them sit while I did a good vacuuming and 50% WC. I scrubbed the glass and cleaned the filter.
I really need help on what to do next. I have read about splitting my lighting into segments. Can anyone tell me how many hours on, then off, then on again?
I also would like to know about dosing ferts cuz I've read that doing it wrong will cause algae as well. I have a 40g tall with 1x 6700K Full spectrum daylight bulb. Right now I have swords, vals, java moss and taiwan moss. I'd like to use Excel since my lighting isn't right for C02 (yet) and also maybe some Seachem Comprehensive or root tabs. Any suggestions on dosing the plants but not encouraging algae growth???

Thanks,
Patricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae is caused by excess nutrients in the water that are not being taken up - at least most of the time this is the case. If you have too much light compared to plants algae will grow. Dosing - if you put too much in and there aren't enough plants to eat it up - algae will take care of it.

You can either cut your light down, cut the time it is on down, or plant more plants

PS - I am no expert on algae - just this is the way it seems to work for me. Also - I have the same problem with the dark green/black algae in my 29g - I stuck a pleco in - he's done good so far - cut it in half.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got an ancistrus last week and he doesn't touch it.
I did have a crappy bulb that came with the hood. I think it was 4100K so I switched the bulb out 10 days ago for a Hagen Life Glo 6700K. Not sure if that will help???? Please comment if you have any opinion on that.
Besides the bulb, i think I am overfeeding so I will work on that.
I was reading somewhere about phosphates, but I have no idea how to tell if that's an issue.

Thanks for the info Sidetrack. Makes me think I'm on the right track.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Other things contribute as well, like higher water temps in the summer which relates to less oxygen in the water, lack of current or flow, poor filtration, a photo period that is too long, over feeding.

I would first try shaving a couple of hours off your photo period, the algae should decrease after a week or so, if so you can adjust the photo period further until the problem is gone. Over feeding can also cause problems, try to feed only what your fish can eat in just 3 minutes and only once a day, you may even want to skip a day of feeding and let them clean the tank a little.

If none of works after 2 or 3 weeks you can try another direction, but I think both these things may solve your problem.

With no C02 you shouldn't have to dose ferts and root tabs are good for Swords which are heavy root feeders, water changes only every other month, and vacuuming or stirring the substrate could cause you problems with diatoms which you can only wait out for 2 to 3 weeks, but you'll have to wait and see. Also clean your filters on a regular schedule leaving 1/4 of the biological media dirty to keep needed benificial bacteria, good luck.

Read this http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...on-CO2-methods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Other things contribute as well, like higher water temps in the summer which relates to less oxygen in the water, lack of current or flow, poor filtration, a photo period that is too long, over feeding.

I would first try shaving a couple of hours off your photo period, the algae should decrease after a week or so, if so you can adjust the photo period further until the problem is gone. Over feeding can also cause problems, try to feed only what your fish can eat in just 3 minutes and only once a day, you may even want to skip a day of feeding and let them clean the tank a little.

If none of works after 2 or 3 weeks you can try another direction, but I think both these things may solve your problem.

With no C02 you shouldn't have to dose ferts and root tabs are good for Swords which are heavy root feeders, water changes only every other month, and vacuuming or stirring the substrate could cause you problems with diatoms which you can only wait out for 2 to 3 weeks, but you'll have to wait and see. Also clean your filters on a regular schedule leaving 1/4 of the biological media dirty to keep needed benificial bacteria, good luck.

Read this http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...on-CO2-methods
Thanks. GREAT article, but I couldn't get to it with that link. Couldn't get to The Barr Report at all for some reason. Here is the site I read the article on for anybody else interested in non CO2 tanks..
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...Non-CO2-method
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Good advice from 150EH. They are some of the good corrective actions you can take.

In addition, the type of algae you mentioned seemed like green spot algae. If they are growing on slow growing plants like anubias/crypts, try to adjust their position where they are not getting too much direct light.

Keep your filter clean regularly and increase the water flow if you can so that there are not dead spots in the tank.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It was slow yesterday, so just try it later. Server problems or something???

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode