Is it possible to rent a van/truck for only a few hours? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Is it possible to rent a van/truck for only a few hours?

Odd question, but I need to transport a new aquarium and it won't fit in our car. Nor do we have any friends with a big enough vehicle. I did a quick search with Google but that didn't turn up much more than complaints against various rental agencies.

I have until Sunday to get this figured out, so any suggestions would be grand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Go to any rent a car agency and get an economy van or pick up truck. Both Enterprise, and U-Haul offer vans.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
What? This is America! You have a friend with a pickup. Trust me.

*Edit* and there's always Home Depot.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
yea HD rents those truck that look like a cross between a flatbed and a dump truck on an hourly basis.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
The answer is yes, but see this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
What? This is America! You have a friend with a pickup. Trust me.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I remember when i was in IKEA there was a booth with a phone that dialed to some rental place which rented you a truck on an hourly basis. It was very reasonably priced too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have an astro van for sale, no lie.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
I have an astro van for sale, no lie.
Hmm, I would suggest going to enterprise and seeing if you could get a daily rental...probably ~100$... but I wouldn't trust a tank being bounced around in the back of a dump truck especially with the suspension on those things.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you have a short trip, not involving 70 mph driving, I would use a pickup or the HD truck. The HD truck I rented was easy to drive. For a long trip or a 70 mph drive, I think I would look for a van, like a UHaul van for example.

Hoppy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Definitely check out Home Depot, my wife and I rented one of their F350 trucks to move some stuff and it was $19 for an hour or so. Enough time for us to do what we needed to do, and I'm sure the rates for going over in time are pretty reasonable.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Home Depot is your friend when it comes to equipment rental. I don't know what their truck rental options are (they have them, I just don't know their rates), but I've rented a 40ft ladder, a hand truck, a tiller, a dirt compactor, and probably several other things from them. They do 4hr and 24hr rentals. Heck, I've even walked around their rental department for the fun of it, and tried to come up with reasons to rent stuff (mmmmmm powertools...).

But I've been that friend with the pickup many many times, and before that, I was that friend with a minivan. I had a Plymouth Voyager (Dodge Caravan), and it had two removable bench seats in the back. I fit a single-size mattress back there when I was a traveler (i.e., bum) a bunch of years back. Many minivans have completely removable seating, especially the older models. So, before you spend money on a rental, think about what your friends drive again.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Hmm, I would suggest going to enterprise and seeing if you could get a daily rental...probably ~100$... but I wouldn't trust a tank being bounced around in the back of a dump truck especially with the suspension on those things.
just dont drive like an idiot, and wrap that bad boy up in some blankets.

Last edited by jreich; 07-29-2011 at 12:28 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
just dont drive like a ...., and wrap that bad boy up in some blankets.

. But yeah, I'm not saying you should. Heck I can't say much I drove a 55G tank and stand back from a friends house in the back of my pickup with a blanket between the side of the bed, tank, the stand and the other side of the bed. I think I actually used cardboard now that I think further... Didn't have any problems, but I also made sure I was going slow and careful through every turn..Didn't want a freebie tank to turn into a few glass shards.

For a Home depot flat bed/dump truck it's 19$ for the first 75 minutes and 69$ for an entire day..Just looked it up on their site.

http://homedepotrents.com/truckrenta..._-truck_rental

Last edited by fishykid1; 07-30-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode