Thoughts... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thoughts...

Alright - so I just finished building a canopy for my aquarium... I don't like it. The nice thing is the lighting section is actually separate from the main body of it, so I am thinking I will just remove the body and hang the lighting portion - however... I am afraid of my sharks jumping out

They tend to fly up at the water and do who knows what and then back down, but it makes a pretty big splash.

Do you guys think they'd jump out? Any ideas on how I can keep them in? I really like the idea of a non-covered tank, but I always fear the fish jumping out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you are in this hobby long enough and you like open tops it is almost an inevitability that you will have a carpet surfer to two....

Some fish are more likely to perform the death leap than others however. What kind of "shark" are you talking about here?

For the most part I just don't worry about it anymore. If my fish decide they wanna end it all, there is no good way (that I know of) to stop them. I have seen it happen before and picked them up and had them live, but if you are not around their chances are slim. I keep glass lids around however for when I am on vacation or gone for an extended period of time.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Bala sharks I believe (Silver with Whitish/black striped fins)

I really like the way my canopy looks - its just it raises the lights 9" above the top of the tank and I want my plants getting as much light as possible - so I am in a debate, I really don't want the sharks to decide to end it all

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you can use eggcrate over the top of the tank... no light lose from the short distance. might look lame a on rimless tank though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Glass or plexiglass. if you go the egg crate route you can stick terrestrial plants in it and have their roots stick into the water. Somewhere around on this forum there is an example of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a glass lid for my tank(hinged, so it opens easily). The light has "feet" so it sits just above the lid. No canopy or hanging anything.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

couldent you suspent the lights from hooks inside the canopy?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
couldent you suspent the lights from hooks inside the canopy?
This is a complete DIY project - there is no "fixture". I bought the actual ends for the lights to go into - the ballast, wired and hooked up myself. I don't really have a way to hang it.

I could go and run them on some 1x2s or something, but unfortunately the design of my canopy would be 3/4" too short for the lights :-/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
When my Bala sharks started getting bigger (5 inches) they would love picking at my plants, to the point of damage. Had to give em away, good luck though they do have a personality.

I never had a Bala shark jump out of the tank, but I did have one jump out of the bucket I was transporting him in when I moved places.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latnem View Post
When my Bala sharks started getting bigger (5 inches) they would love picking at my plants, to the point of damage. Had to give em away, good luck though they do have a personality.

I never had a Bala shark jump out of the tank, but I did have one jump out of the bucket I was transporting him in when I moved places.
Yea - mine pick at the plants too - mostly just the swords. They don't seem to pick at any of the other fish though - just each other. My one is pushing over 6" - the other one is probably almost 5"
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay - I did a little modification to my canopy - now it is painted chrome - seems more light is getting down - I will give it a little bit and see how the plants do.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSidetrack View Post
Okay - I did a little modification to my canopy - now it is painted chrome - seems more light is getting down - I will give it a little bit and see how the plants do.
mylar baloons work well also, but correct me if im wrong, white paint is suposed to work the best?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
mylar baloons work well also, but correct me if im wrong, white paint is suposed to work the best?
Yes and no

White paint absorbs the least light of anything; thereby making it the best color choice on a light fixture.

However.... A chrome or aluminum reflective surface "reflects" more light than it absorbs.

White paint isn't really reflecting the light, but rather just not absorbing it so there is more to be directed into the tank. The reflective surfaces (mirrors or best though) actually change the direction of the light and put it in a different direction (in this case "hopefully" the plants).

This is why headlights have reflective surfaces behind them and not white paint.

Now there could be arguments in the other direction, but IMO (and that is what it is, I am no expert in light) it is better to reflect the light.

My logic is based mostly off of the headlight example. Headlights, most flashlights, spot lights, etc. It is also based off the fact that if someone takes something reflective and shines the reflection into your eyes it hurts a lot more than someone holding something white and trying to do the same

PS - I have no problem with any other opinions showing up in this thread, I would love to hear them
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh - and I have no idea what it does to the lumens or whatever it is that the plants need from the light. Again, definitely not an expert
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSidetrack View Post
Yes and no

White paint absorbs the least light of anything; thereby making it the best color choice on a light fixture.

However.... A chrome or aluminum reflective surface "reflects" more light than it absorbs.

White paint isn't really reflecting the light, but rather just not absorbing it so there is more to be directed into the tank. The reflective surfaces (mirrors or best though) actually change the direction of the light and put it in a different direction (in this case "hopefully" the plants).

This is why headlights have reflective surfaces behind them and not white paint.

Now there could be arguments in the other direction, but IMO (and that is what it is, I am no expert in light) it is better to reflect the light.

My logic is based mostly off of the headlight example. Headlights, most flashlights, spot lights, etc. It is also based off the fact that if someone takes something reflective and shines the reflection into your eyes it hurts a lot more than someone holding something white and trying to do the same

PS - I have no problem with any other opinions showing up in this thread, I would love to hear them
the only issue i c with your example is were talking about 2 difrent kinds of lighting meaning headlights are almost like spot lights being focused in a specific spot which we dont necesarilly want in out tanks, we want a more even spread out light. pardon my very poor spelling!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode