Looking for some ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looking for some ideas

Hello, My name is Ben and this is my first post. I love the site, you have all inspired me so much and I must thank you.

I have had my 29 gallon bow front for about 3 years but no plants and never really did much to it. Recently I added some plants which I need help identifying. I am using a DIY CO2 system made from a wine bottle and it is enough for now. I have the Fluval 205 filter and keep the water at about 79F. The substrate is 30lbs of Flourite. I have 1 Texas holy rock and a piece of drift wood. My lighting is the SolarMax 224 HE, it has 1 T5 10,000k daylight lamp and 1 T5 Actinic-03 lamp with moonlight LEDs. I have a few bloodfin tetras, neons and shrimp.

My second tank I picked up for really cheap and that is my 5 gallon Fluval Chi. The light and filter that came with it were terrible, so I removed them and added a Fluval U1 in tank filter and the Marineland 11in 45 led light bar with moonlight. right now i only have a sand substrate, 2 fake plants, and a rock. I also added a glass top to it to help with evaporation. In here i only have 1 platy and a few shrimp.

I would love to hear any ideas or suggestions. And I don't really know anyone else into tanks so I just wanted to share with someone and talk about them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
In aquascaping there is a rule of thirds, can be looked up and read about if you desire. Basically, divide your tank in thirds and at each third is where your focal points should be, these being your rock and driftwood. On some it's not so bad but the middle of your tank looks really busy and actually draws my eyes away from the rest of your scape. I would move the wood and rock closer to one of the sides, maybe leave the middle an open area for the fish to swim in. Other than that the tank is almost like mine and looks awesome with really nice plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd get rid of the fakes in the small tank and replace with real plants.

The will grow in sand, but you might want to consider root tabs under or beside them to help them out. Java Fern, anubias nana petite, and crypts would look pretty good in there.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went ahead and pulled the fakes out and added a little flourite to the Chi. I moved over some Java fern and i believe an anubias lanceolata, but i am not sure if that's what it is. Still I am not very impressed with this tank. Any other plant ideas that will grow under the LED's? Are there any plants that will carpet the bottom of the tank?

On the 29 gallon I am trying to see it in thirds and i am struggling. I moved the Wood and rock to the left side of the tank and surrounded it with plants but the right side is very empty. Not really sure if I should put more wood over there or what.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
I think it looks alot better. The right side is definitely bare now, maybe you can get some white natural rocks and create a border. I can tell the back and side is higher than the front, so it will kinda look like this.
Then all you would need to do is to fill in behind the border with substrate and a couple more taller plants, unless the ones there will be tall, can't really tell. If thats the case then it should look pretty good once they grow out. Hope this helped. The tank looks better and your plants look awesome.

Updated 9-7

President.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Switched it up again. Still not exactly what I would like. I guess I am not as creative as I would like to be. Maybe it's the plants that are the issue. everyone else seems to have these very full green tanks and mine is really lacking there. Do I just need more light and better CO2? What type of plants will help fill this thing up? And maybe some type of ground covering plant? Here's what we have so far,

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks LOTS better, I like! I was going to recommend a "block" in that same area but using paint it didnt look so good with the preview so I just sent my other recommendation. One suggestion, in the bottom right pic where you can see the sub taper off as it gets closer to the end of that block? I would fill all that in and allow it to taper off on the left side of the rock rather than behind it. It'll make it look more like a half-covered rock and not so much like a rock that was just placed there. Kind of like a wall and not a bench seat as it kind of appears now. If that was the look you was going for and not so much the wall look, then it looks just fine. Your tank, your preference. It does look pretty darn good though, good job. If you want us to be picky I would say you needed some taller plants to hide that filter intake.

Just realized that was 2 suggestions, sorry Now I'm done, your tank looks so much like mine I wanna keep aquascaping yours too Keep it up, you'll get it. If you are satisfied with it we will be too. If you never stop we can probably give you thousands of suggestions. What do you think of it? It's not our tank so I kind of feel like you might not be getting YOUR vision for your tank but rather OUR vision. Is this becoming a vision you can see yet?

Updated 9-7

President.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Welcome to TPT! Anyways, you just need to let your plants grow in, and then you can trim them to make more plants! Well that's my opinion, as I like more of a "jungle" type feel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode