API Nexx canister filter, too big? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
API Nexx canister filter, too big?

So I have a 20 gallon planted low tech tank. The one thing that is killing me with the HOB filter I have is that it needs to be maintained about every two weeks (I know, I have a case of the lazies and no time). Also, the filters basically disentigrate after about a month and need to be replaced.

I was looking at the new API Nexx canister filter and it looks about what I would consider just about ideal for my habits and lifestyle however the lowest output is for "up to 55 gallons" Does anyone see this being a problem for a 20 gallon planted.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Word of caution, even canister filters need maintaining. You still have media, sponges, bio media and other combinations of the above in the filter and just because it is in an enclosed canister does not mean it does not get funky and requires cleaning. I have a ZooMed 501 in my 4g nano and it requires maintenance, that involves disconnecting hoses and the mess that entails can be just as annoying as replacing and cleaning your HOB. In fact you have to clean remove and clean the inside of the canister, impeller and the likes of the ZooMed and I cannot imagine the others would be any less when cleaning. Something to think about.. it's not plug it in and leave it be,

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-RETIRED
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Two weeks???? I only cleaned my HOB maybe once a month but I guess it depends on your bioload. As demonr6 stated you still have to clean a canister filter. I think I clean mine once a month not sure though it's usually when I remember (I think). I have never seen nor heard or the API filter before.

For ~$80 I wouldn't get that filter. You can buy a nice used filter on the S&S or get a Sunsun off of Ebay. I ran a sunsun on my 20g for 6 months and loved it!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh yeah, i know i am going to need to maintain it but I'm hoping for a little more time in between cleanings. This system is actually pretty cool, there is a video on the API website about how it works, so cleaning should be a little easier than some.

My main concern was using a pump that is rated for up to 55 gallons on a twenty gallon tank. See any problems with over filtration at all?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
FWIW - I have a Rena xp1 on a 20g and its rate for up to 45g if I remember correctly - I should have gone with the Xp2. Got a great deal on it so I don't feel too bad but... should have gone bigger and turned the flow down a bit. Also take into consideration that once you get your media in it the flow might not be as high as it is rated. Just a few thoughts - good luck!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Planted Member

1. I don't think there's such a thing as too much filtration. Maybe too much flow, but you can always turn that down.

2. I *just* got an XP3 (set it up last night) - I went with a nice one because I've heard nothing but good things about them. The maintenance is easier because disconnecting the hoses closes a valve on them, so you get at least a little bit less mess.

3. I would over-size your filtration. The specs that they give assume ideal flow rates, which won't be the case. Better to have too much filtration than not enough. The XP3 claims to be up to 175gal, I have it on a 55gal.

4. Make sure you leave your old filter running for a while after getting your new one up. The new one will have 0 bio filtration, and will need to cycle. I plan to run both filters on my tank for at least a month before I decommission the HOB.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for everyones comments. I can't get it off the brain so assuming they still have one at the local store I will be picking up the filter this weekend.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have an eheim rated for an 80g on a 20l and rena xp1 on a 10g, fish are happy water is clean, i wouldnt worry about it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Planted Member

I just came across the Nexx in Petco and must say I am intrigued! I look forwards to your impressions of the filter when you get it.

I like that they have tried to come out with something new in filtration instead of just another bucket with hoses coming out of it. All filters need maintaining... it looks like they have tried to make maintenance as easy as possible! I also really appreciate their modular approach for expansion!!!!

I don't appreciate their emphasis on chemical filtration. And I really don't like their in-tank pump! But maybe it will be easy to customize with your own media? And maybe you could just buy the expansion modules and use them with your own external pump?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode