Want some opinions......... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Want some opinions.........

Okay, in about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks I get my fall financial aid. I've set aside enough of it to put a drop checker and maybe a bubble counter on my 40 Gallon Paintball Co2 and add a few fish/plants. So that is handled until spring.

My 10 gallon shrimp tank on the other hand is starting to drive me nuts with snails. So I've been thinking about setting up an entirely new tank and slowly transfering everything from the 10 Gallon to a completely new tank (after doing a good disinfectant of course) so I can get rid of the snails without hurting the shrimp.

I can probably spend between $100 to $150 on this setup so I am looking for opinions on what would be a good option.

Some of my thoughts:

Fluval Ebi
Fluval Chi
used tank off Craigslist and just pick up what I need.
New standard tank (5 or 10 or maybe 20?)

Etc...

Now, I already need to replace my heater (I'm borrowing one from my neighboar at the moment) and the Zoomed 501 canister, although works extremely well, doesn't have the flow for anything over a 5 gallon.

I do have a 2.5 Gallon I could setup but I think my Painted Fire Reds would over run that tank fairly quickly. Besides I don't have the canopy and you can't get one without purchasing a new tank.

Remember I'm on a budget though. "I MIGHT" be able to swing $200 at the very top end.

This budget needs to include everything, including substrate. I want to replace basically the entire tank, cycle it, and then move the shrimp over.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Definitely not the Fluval chi.

I think Fluval Ebi would be your best choice since it comes with almost everything you need except for water, plants, and shrimp; which you already have. Its 8 gallons, so your PFR shouldn't over run it like a 2.5 gal. All for about 90 dollars.

As for the 2.5gal, alot of LFS (atleast in my area) sell cut out glass that fits the 2.5gal for about 2 dollars. All you need is a dremel/tools to carve the inlets for the wires and hoses to fit your needs.

Cheapest route:
Keep your 10 gallon. Get a giant tub to put all the critters in temporarily, disinfect the whole tank, then buy new substrate for it. Probably spending about 15-30 dollars. $15-25 for the substrate and about 5 dollars for vinegar/h2o2/cleaning stuff.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Why dont you just get an assassin snail and not worry about switching over. Just buy the new tank and get some different shrimp?

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Why dont you just get an assassin snail and not worry about switching over. Just buy the new tank and get some different shrimp?
+1 It's a much cheaper route. I can get assassin snails at the lfs for $2 a piece and they'll reproduce to make more snail killers. You could also get red claw shrimp depending on which snail species is pestering you. Those are sometimes offered on aquabid and lfs's and neither species bothers dwarf shrimp (ok we have a few cases here and there but they definitely won't put a noticeable dent in your colony). I have both the snails and shrimp and they work for snail control while leaving everything else untouched.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
They give financial aid for fish tanks? Sign me up.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BodyBlade View Post
Mhmmm me too!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BodyBlade View Post
The budget for financial aid is tuition, books, room & board, transportatio, and entertainment. I don't spend as much on room & board along with transportation as I am allocated which leaves some excess.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

My Tanks

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great comments so far, keep them coming please.

The reason I was looking at another tank for an option is dueto the fact if I keep using the 10 I have to replace the filter. The zoomed 501 just doesn't have the circulation needed for the 10.

I am looking at all ideas because there are quite a few I hadn't thought about.

My Tanks

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Get a powerhead and make a DIY sponge filter for your existing 10 gallon. Use assassin snails to kill nuisance snails. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-solution.html

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
Get a powerhead and make a DIY sponge filter for your existing 10 gallon. Use assassin snails to kill nuisance snails. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-solution.html
That is definitely an idea worth considering, but I do really like having the filter external of the tank (i.e. canister). But definitely another idea worth considering.

I have 3 or 4 weeks to make a decision so keep the comments coming.

My Tanks

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jwalls1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnstevens View Post
The budget for financial aid is tuition, books, room & board, transportatio, and entertainment. I don't spend as much on room & board along with transportation as I am allocated which leaves some excess.

I think getting tanks set up qualifies as entertainment. I could think of far worse things to do with that part of the money.

And a +1 for a powerhead + sponge filter for the tank. That's a good idea.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, to add I definitely want a second tank. My intentions weren't to "stop using" the first tank, but to get rid of the snails, then start using the original tank again.

Just wanted to through that in there.

I love the ideas people are coming up with and would love for them to keep coming. It's giving me a lot of food for thought.

One question, will assasin snails harm the shrimp? And what happens to them when all the snails are gone?

My Tanks

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would do a complete take down as a absolute last resort.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
I would do a complete take down as a absolute last resort.
Well, I wasn't exactly veiwing it as a complete tear down, but I do agree.

The way I was looking at it was that I wanted another tank anyways, so getting another tank and setting it up, then after it was completely up tearing down the 10 gallon to be cleaned/sanitized and setting it back up.

I guess that would be a copmlete tear down though.

My Tanks

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnstevens View Post

I've done a few student loans in my day... none of them have any special section for anything. And entertainment isn't any part of any loan....

Not that I never used my loans for beer. Basically, for a federal loan, you get a certain max per year based on credits. Then you decide if you want it all or not.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode