Injecting co2 into canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Injecting co2 into canister filter

I am about ready to put co2 into my 70 gal. with eheim 2073 canister filter, inline heater, ultraviolet sterilizer, Milwaukee regulator and controller. My question is if I inject co2 into the canister filter do I need a reactor or diffuser?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisner View Post
I am about ready to put co2 into my 70 gal. with eheim 2073 canister filter, inline heater, ultraviolet sterilizer, Milwaukee regulator and controller. My question is if I inject co2 into the canister filter do I need a reactor or diffuser?
Thanks for the help.
There are many possible methods but for me, I chose direct injection of CO2 under the filter inlet for simplicity.

I actually made use of a part from an unused hang-on filter to aid capturing of the CO2 bubbles from the tube and diverting them into the filter inlet:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Can I put a tee in the inlet tubing of the canister filter, reduce it down to a barb fitting and connect the co2 tubing to the barb on the tee?
Thanks

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

i read somewhere that CO2 can kill off your BBB if you put the tubing into your filter inlet. Is that true at all?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris66 View Post
i read somewhere that CO2 can kill off your BBB if you put the tubing into your filter inlet. Is that true at all?
I've read quite a bit on that also including remarks by ADA that too much CO2 and lack of oxygenation will harm the biofilter. From what I've read, the activity of the bacteria is greatly diminished at a pH of less than 6.5 and pretty much grinds to a halt below 6.0. I have injected CO2 into a canister in the past and it worked really well but I'd not do it now based on what I just mentioned. Here's a link that addresses and that and a few other related items.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...manifesto.html
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Injecting CO2 into a canister inlet definitely works. I initially was injecting that way, but stopped when I purchased a larger filter because the CO2 bubbles were making a loud tapping noise inside the tubing.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

Just sharing:

I just removed the inlet netting few moments ago and decided to just plug the CO2 tube directly into it. Reason was that CO2 bubbles were leaking out when I tried to increase the CO2 input using my previous method (see my above post).

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Won't putting the co2 directly under the intake of the filter cause problems with the propeller?

never tried it before, but If not, this sounds like a good idea.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Regarding the theory that Co2 will reduce the good bacteria in a canister filter, it doesn't make sense to me. Regardless of where you add the Co2 (to the tank, to the filter, through a diffuser, etc, it's going to get into the canister at some point. The drop in PH from using Co2 will cover the entire tank AND canister. So, whether the co2 is getting sucked directly into the canister, or dissolved in the aquarium THEN sucked into the canister, what difference does it make?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
The pH may be lower in the canister filter if injected directly since it's less diluted.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
The pH may be lower in the canister filter if injected directly since it's less diluted.
Low enough to make a difference? Remember the water is constantly flowing through the canister. The Co2 doesn't get pumped in there and just sit there. The cycle is very fast.. so you have fresh new water from the tank in your canister every minute or so.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

IDK, that's why I say "may be".

Regardless, I couldn't do it that way without air building up in the canister. My bubble rate is way beyond the countable range, almost a stream.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't think its a good idea, just for the sake of the impeller.

|

|
|

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

10 bubbles of CO2 will have a much greater impact on 1 gallon in the canister than it will on 40 gallons in the tank, a random example.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
10 bubbles of CO2 will have a much greater impact on 1 gallon in the canister than it will on 40 gallons in the tank, a random example.
Yeah, I'm not trying to argue with you.. This is what I'm talking about though.. I don't think you can think of the canister as a "1 gallon" container. My point is, the water is constantly moving through it, way too fast for it to make any difference. If you pump 10bps into a 1 gallon tank, sure the co2 content in the water will be much higher than a 40 gallon. But that's like saying that one corner of your 40 gallon tank is an independent 10 gallon body of water.

So the canister is just an extension of the main tank.. just like a sump. I reckon if you turn everything off at any time, and test the water in the filter (providing you don't shake it up) and the water in the tank, you're going to get the exact same PH reading, as well as every other reading.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode