If you went to hear a speaker talk, what would you most like to hear and learn about? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If you went to hear a speaker talk, what would you most like to hear and learn about?

As the title states, open ended opinions, demand, desires, info vs pretty pics, you name it.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Lessons you learned and how you learned them - in story & picture format if possible
Challenges faces and how you over came them
Resources for additional help/questions/learning opportunity
Real life examples
Opportunity to see and touch things as appropriate
Q&A Session/opportunity

suggest that to hit on all sense when putting it together Visual, Speaking, Sounds, touch (if possible) that way you'll have better chance of teaching /entertaining all learning styles.

that what you had in mind?

Sounds like you have something fun up your sleeve! - will you being sharing it?

Duff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
How to rebuild my kitchen w/ hands on workshops.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Pics and videos help. Particularly when you might be going against the grain. Mostly I like to see well organized and thought out. You could convince me to buy spandex and where it to church on sunday if you sold it well.

Not that I am suggesting you push your presentations to "sheep", but I do like to see well connected arguments/thoughts and sometimes pics/videos help connect dots.

Also I like pretty colors and can't read. So keep the powerpoints to a minimum.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
A few minutes of stand up would be fun.

Seriously, lot of pictures and a good story. Good story structure, beginning-middle-end. Don't go all over the place. Guys in the science fields tend to go on forever on a topic even though it's cogent. It makes for a very boring and frustrating speak.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
How to grow money trees.
The stores are always out of stock, but I still have hopes.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If this were a general planted tank speech, I'd want to hear a fairly concise discussion on how to put together a fairly bullet-proof planted tank. Nothing overly detailed, but the "aerial view" of how a nice tank is done.

Meaning, how to do a decent "mid-tech" level planted tank while minimizing algae war.

For example, here's my short take on setting up a nice, common size tank-- a 29g.

1) A single strip T5HO or a twin-strip T8, with 6500K bulbs.

2) 3" layer of Flourite or Eco-Complete substrate.

3) Driftwood to taste.

4) Small compressed CO2 setup (5lb tank) with diffuser.

5) Necessary test kits (nitrate, alk, pH, ammonia, GH, phosphate, etc..)

6) Basic ferts.

7) Basic nutrient/mineral/chemistry levels to maintain.

And so forth.

7)

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you are the speaker I would be most interested in debunking the various myths about planted tanks and unravelling the myths. Especially around Chemistry/Fertilizers and Lighting. Just a few posts from you have blown away paradigms that I spent decades building up.

Maybe you could call it the top 10 biggest myths about planted tanks and just walk through them. I would pay to go.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbellwood View Post
Maybe you could call it the top 10 biggest myths about planted tanks and just walk through them. I would pay to go.
I would agree.

1) the "high light" myth.
2) the "avoid surface agitation" myth.
3) the "need to increase kH to avoid CO2 induced pH crash" myth.
4) the "[insert random fert here] causes algae" myth.
5) the "pH/ kH charts are 100% accurate" myth.

etc, etc.

Then as a summation, recommend some sites that folks can refer to, so they can do the research themselves.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)
tell them (me) how to adjust lighting or what else you can do to get rid of algae, assuming your co2 and nutrients are high and stable.

-Bill

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
I, too, would like to hear some of the myths debunked or proven along with a problem-solving section. Accompany that with some pics/vids and a story or 2 followed with a Q+A. Would love to hear your speach, if you're giving 1? A video of it would be nice If you are giving one, good luck and "knock 'em dead!"

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Are you speaking in the near future?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I'm polling folks to see what interest there are.

I have some talks similar to the request here.

You have to fertilize the Money tree with Quarters, lots of them, these slowly grow into dollars(now worthless) and then you corner the market on money tree futures...........this artificially drives up the price in the commodities markets by speculators, which in turn creates a massive monoploy (how to make $$$ the "old fashioned" way), then with this $ and an insurance policy that bet on the money trees dying only AFTER you sell, then you buy the goose that lays golden eggs.

How's that for a story in one sentence?

I also get the feeling that a demo of a tank set up is a good idea, I've done a few of those.

I touch on many of these request in the talk, I'm hardly the boring talk over folk's head Science guy in person, I do not fit the stereotype of my on line persona I suppose. I think I'll work more on photography and figures, and including a demo to the talks.

Any other ideas?

Besides including bad jokes into the talk?

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jart View Post
I would agree.

1) the "high light" myth.
2) the "avoid surface agitation" myth.
3) the "need to increase kH to avoid CO2 induced pH crash" myth.
4) the "[insert random fert here] causes algae" myth.
5) the "pH/ kH charts are 100% accurate" myth.

etc, etc.

Then as a summation, recommend some sites that folks can refer to, so they can do the research themselves.
add WPG to that

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Lightbulb

Another +1 for the myth busting!

I would also love to hear from a trustworthy, authoritative source about the evolutionary history of freshwater aquatic plants, the science of pigmentation in plants, how taxonomy has been turned on its head because of gene sequencing/exploding of any family's genome and on field identification, especially field identification and the extent and effects of hybridization both natural and otherwise.

Maybe even a workshop on how to use the various tools for determining the potential of any given plant to become a noxious weed.

"You are much better off with no numbers than meaningless ones. The minute you believe numbers uncritically, that is, without understanding how they're calculated and how well they measure whatever they're supposed to measure, you will generate a breed of employee who will produce numbers and not results. Your data-processing system will then serve not to describe reality but to lie about it."

-Micheal S. Montalbano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode