Driftwood Problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Driftwood Problems

I have this peice of driftwood that I got from PETCO about a year ago. I soaked the tannins out of it, and put it in my tank. Then, I got some plants that apparently had snail eggs on them. Pretty soon they're were tons of snails in my aquarium. I noticed they we're always near the peice of driftwood, so I just removed the driftwood and let it dry. I never put it back in the tank because it was big for the tank anyway. Now that I got a 20H, I want to use it again. I soaked it in water just to make sure, and the water from it smells really bad. I really want to use it, but I don't think it would be good to use. I'm afraid a snail might have crawled in the wood during the time it was in an aquarium, and then died. There's lots of holes and areas that a snail could have gotten stuck. How can I get the wood not to smell? Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I would try soaking it and changing the water out every day for a few days and see if the smell goes away. Boiling it would probably help; if it's too big to be boiled, try putting it in a bucket or somewhere and fill the bucket with boiling water. I would think that it would just need to get whatever was on it off and soaking it for a few days should at least let you know if that's possible (if the smell is getting less).

Joy to the fishes!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadelin View Post
I would try soaking it and changing the water out every day for a few days and see if the smell goes away. Boiling it would probably help; if it's too big to be boiled, try putting it in a bucket or somewhere and fill the bucket with boiling water. I would think that it would just need to get whatever was on it off and soaking it for a few days should at least let you know if that's possible (if the smell is getting less).
Ok will try that... thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Planted Member

Boil it and then stick it in your toilet cistern for a week
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip9 View Post
Nothing like a constant refresh of clean water. Actually that may work well for some jsut don't get hung up on the float valve.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip9 View Post
Lol!

I'll try boiling it.... not so sure my mom would like a peice of wood in the toilet.

This mourning, the water was cloudy, maybe because there might have been some dust on it? Anyway, I poured the water out and then refilled it. About an hour to a half hour after I filled it, I checked the pH, because I also wanted to use the DW to lower my pH, which is normally 7.8. The reading came in a 6.8, so it's defintiley lowering it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode