Pricing on equipment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Pricing on equipment

I figured that since I haven't really been in the "aquatic culture" for a while, I'd ask y'all about what i should expect to pay for certain things i need for my impending tanks... I'll list what i'm curious about, and what i'm kinda expecting to pay for it.

75g tank (regular tank) - $185-200
stand - $150
2x PC/T5NO/T5HO light for the 75 - $175-240 (depending on the tech i use)
Canister filter for 75 - $120
Substrate (probably eco) - $200-250
Heater - $40
Pressurized CO2 system - $200
Automation equipment (microcontroller, PCB (i'll be making my own circuit board and writing my own software), 3-5 solenoids, sensors) - $400

I'm on a 6 to 9-month time horizon before even starting to have all this together and ready to start up, so I have plenty of time to shop for deals, but it would be nice to get info both on what to expect for a regular/average price and also how cheap you may have been able to get these things for (and where to look for good deals)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Soooo many good deals as of late on the SnS.

In terms of the tank/stand themselves though... I would look no further than craigslist. Especially if you have the patience to wait for the right deal to come along.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Agreed. Def buy as deals come up, craigslist or store sales.

I think you're going to need to spend more on a canister though, and may want to consider running 2 heaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was looking at your price for a tank. You can get a whole setup off craigslist if you are patient including stand/canopy/filters/etc...

There is currently a 90 Gallon w/ stand, canopy, filters, light, everything for $200 locally. And I have seen 125 Gallons w/ the stand and canopy for $200 or less on craigslist before.

If you have to purchase a filter personally I would spend more than $120 unless you buy it used, just my opinion.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Most of that seems realistic, though if you were willing to buy a used 75g from Craigslist, in a city the size of yours, you should be able to get one for under $100.

As for substrate, consider pool filter sand. It'll cost you $20-30 total.

Unfortunately, you might be under the mark for filtration. If you were to buy one large filter for the 75g, you'll probably spend more than that. If you wanted two cheap (SunSun or Odyssea) filters, $120 is accurate.

If you wanted to hang a cheap plywood canopy, AHSupply retrofit fixtures and bulbs (top of the line reflectors) will cost you significantly less than you've budgeted.

And one other thought - a 90g tank has the same footprint as a 75g, with a few extra inches on top.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol, don't tempt me... Ive already upgraded from a 55 to a 75. I'm thinking about doing a sump rather than a canister, can anyone speak to the feasibility and cost of that?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
Lol, don't tempt me... Ive already upgraded from a 55 to a 75. I'm thinking about doing a sump rather than a canister, can anyone speak to the feasibility and cost of that?
Sumps are kind of frowned upon with planted tanks, especially when injecting co2. Reason being, unless you seal it up really well, it just ends up off gassing all the co2 you just put into the water as the water trickles in and out, thereby making it useless...with a canister filter it's all sealed up, thereby not losing co2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've noticed that some of the larger tanks have sumps, and they're typically running CO2, so i guess i'll go over to the equip forum and ask how they keep outgassing to a minimum.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
I've noticed that some of the larger tanks have sumps, and they're typically running CO2, so i guess i'll go over to the equip forum and ask how they keep outgassing to a minimum.
Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Personally, I HATE SUMPS WITH A PASSION. I had one.....NEVER AGAIN! Of course that was on a saltwater tank, but still, what a pain in the rear!

~
~
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Im hoping that won't be my experience... I just have that same passionate hatred for having the entire back of my tank cluttered with heaters, filter inlets, thermometers, drop checkers, powerheads, CO2 lines, etc. My idea of a "sump" is just a 10g tank with an overflow that drains into it, a couple sponges, and a powerhead to return the water back into the tank... hopefully most of the naievity of that plan is beat out of me before i spill 30 gallons of water on my downstairs neighbors.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
man, someone over at SCAPE was just selling 2 xp3's for $120. I thought it was an amazing deal and i was going to buy them eventhough i already have 2. Deals can be found not only on CL but also right here or other forums.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Idk why people are so willing when it comes too dropping hundreds on substrate. You can use anything and lace it with iron rich laterite for twenty bucks. You can get odyssea light fixtures off ebay that are quad 48" t5ho for 105 bucks shipped. They aren't the best light fixtures but they provide more than enough light for a 75 gallon. I use this fixture on my 75 with only two bulbs. Run a hydor inline heater and that'll be all you need there. Rarely ever would you want to pay more than 100 for a regular 75 gallon tank. like everyone said, shop craigslist and get a sweet deal. For filters I just bought the fx5 for my 75 and I love it. If I ever upgrade tanks I'll have a filter that will work for that. Considering the running price is 350 I was happy paying 230 for that with free media. Don't really know what you need three to five solenoids for, but sounds exciting.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickleMyElmo View Post
Sumps are kind of frowned upon with planted tanks, especially when injecting co2. Reason being, unless you seal it up really well, it just ends up off gassing all the co2 you just put into the water as the water trickles in and out, thereby making it useless...with a canister filter it's all sealed up, thereby not losing co2
This has kinda become bull. If you set it up properly a sump is a fantastic option. You just have to limit off gassing, which really isn't hard. It's not really a bad idea, people just keep saying it is so people think it is.

Not trying to razz you... just sayin'.

Quote:
Tom Barr has been slowly moving over to sumps and speaks the world of of wet/drys. Amano uses sumps on his large tanks. Simplicity is your friend here.

Quote:
Im hoping that won't be my experience... I just have that same passionate hatred for having the entire back of my tank cluttered with heaters, filter inlets, thermometers, drop checkers, powerheads, CO2 lines, etc. My idea of a "sump" is just a 10g tank with an overflow that drains into it, a couple sponges, and a powerhead to return the water back into the tank... hopefully most of the naievity of that plan is beat out of me before i spill 30 gallons of water on my downstairs neighbors.
Your idea of a sump is perfect. A wet dry works great. You just seal the lid with duck tape and call it a day. Stick a few sponges where the water flows out and chuck in a return pump.

You can also do like Jose did with his wild discus setup. Take a bare tank and add a few sponges and some bio media in bags so the water has to flow through it to get to the return pump. The key with this setup is adding a lid to the tank that you can seal it... again easily done with duck tape. Also, try to keep your overflow somewhat full so the water doesn't crash over. Steady flow over a weir isn't a huge problem. It's if the water drops and crashes or creates turbulence that is.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
In terms of the sump, I think this thread is worth a read-through:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-use-sump.html

There is some good discussion here and even some helpful hints about sump design that will help to eliminate some of the problems people associate with using them in planted aquariums.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
Idk why people are so willing when it comes too dropping hundreds on substrate. You can use anything and lace it with iron rich laterite for twenty bucks. You can get odyssea light fixtures off ebay that are quad 48" t5ho for 105 bucks shipped. They aren't the best light fixtures but they provide more than enough light for a 75 gallon. I use this fixture on my 75 with only two bulbs. Run a hydor inline heater and that'll be all you need there. Rarely ever would you want to pay more than 100 for a regular 75 gallon tank. like everyone said, shop craigslist and get a sweet deal. For filters I just bought the fx5 for my 75 and I love it. If I ever upgrade tanks I'll have a filter that will work for that. Considering the running price is 350 I was happy paying 230 for that with free media. Don't really know what you need three to five solenoids for, but sounds exciting.
Haha, I was thinking that's nuts too at first. I'm thinking it would be for water top offs or water changes and such.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode