Flourish Excel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Flourish Excel

Is there anything else like it that provides a source of carbon for plants?

Aside from injecting CO2 of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Dirt substrates
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
The active ingredient in it is called Glutaraldehyde I think.

You can find purer sources of it online but they will have to be diluted.

Other than that, I don't know of any alternate sources of carbon useful to plants.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just find it surprising there is pretty much no competition from other manufacturers.

For example when looking for micro nutrients there quite a few options.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
API CO2 Booster Liquid

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
I just find it surprising there is pretty much no competition from other manufacturers.

For example when looking for micro nutrients there quite a few options.
There are other brands making stuff with the same active ingredient. I want to say Azoo is one of them.

But its cheaper to buy it for non-aquarium use.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMan View Post
There are other brands making stuff with the same active ingredient. I want to say Azoo is one of them.

But its cheaper to buy it for non-aquarium use.
So you can get it for non-aquarium use and then use it in the aquarium?

What products are there for non-aquarium use and also safe for use in our tanks?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
So you can get it for non-aquarium use and then use it in the aquarium?

What products are there for non-aquarium use and also safe for use in our tanks?

Just buy bottles of Glutaraldehyde. Cidex is one manufacturer. I just bottle a gallon of metricide (2% Glutaraldehyde) for 14 bucks with shipping on [Ebay Link Removed]

To recreate excel u just need to add 1 part water for every 3 parts Glutaraldehyde.

You can buy any concentration of Glutaraldehyde and long as you dilute it properly or adjust your dosing.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just google that glutaraldehyde stuff...not so sure about it, sounds like it could be bad if you mess up on the dose concentration.

I have a 40 and 29 so I might be better off to play it safe and go with API's booster or Excel and just get the bigger sized bottles from BigAls.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Carbon Source Question

Hello kami...

dubvstudent is correct about the "Gluteraldehyde". This is an industrial form of carbon used for complex aquatic plant growth. The SeaChem product has 1.5 percent of the "Glut".

I've used a product called "Cidex" in the past that's much more concentrated, 3.4 percent "Glut". Haven't heard much about this brand in some time, but should still be available online.

The product with the "activator" is used to sterilize hospital surgical instruments and is very powerful. Without the "activator" you have what I call a "plant steroid". The guy I got if from said he had some pretty substanital plant growth when he used it. I used it briefly a few months ago, but stopped because it damaged my Java fern.

I'd use caution if you decide to use it. Gluteraldhyde in higher doses is toxic to more primitive aquarium plants like mosses, ferns and certain varieties of Vallisneria. I've heard of it used in high doses to kill algae.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode