melting sword plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
melting sword plants

Ive got an issue with some assorted sword plants that Ive had in a 50 gallon low tech tank ( cycled Aquasoil, no CO2, no ferts yet-other than root tabs and the ferts from the Aquasoil, moderate fish load, 84W T5NO lighting < two Coralife T5NO strip lights with 2x21W T5NO bulbs > )

The swords are melting like you would see with a Crypt that was just disturbed. The leaves are literally turning to mush. I do have an Ancistrus pleco in the tank and he hangs out on the leaves of some of the swords, but I dont think he is capable of doing this type of damage.

Tonight is water change night for the rest of my tanks, so Im gonna do a 50% water change and dose the tank with NPK and traces as well as Empsom salts and see how it does. I really dont think I have enough light on this tank to cause the need for ferts. The swords have been in the tank for a couple of months-the soil has been wet since January.

Any thoughts on what might be the culprit for the melting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

bump--any ideas?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
How long have you had them? If you got them just recently they could have been emmerced so they are transitioning.

If you've had them and this just started, then its a deficiency of sometype. CO2 is obvious. Root tabs should take care of your NPK, how often do you replace them?

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp2 View Post
How long have you had them? If you got them just recently they could have been emmerced so they are transitioning.

If you've had them and this just started, then its a deficiency of sometype. CO2 is obvious. Root tabs should take care of your NPK, how often do you replace them?

They have been in the tank for a few months. I put the root tabs in there about a month ago.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode