Thinking about setting up a new tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Thinking about setting up a new tank.

Tank: Likely a GLA 60-L whenever they get them back in stock. Also a garden mat under it.
Filter: Eheim 2215 (already owned)
Lily pipes: Best bang for my buck? Definitely these.
CO2: Paintball CO2 diffused by a glass ceramic diffuser under my intake (already owned)
Heater: Hydor 200W ETH in-line (already owned)
Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia + Power Sand + additives (Penac P&W, Bacter 100, Clear Super 100 if I can buy enough for a new setup off of a member...none if I can't)
Stand: Gonna build one if I can find some blueprints!
Ferts: EI Dosing.
Lighting: Probably this.
Livestock: Otocinclus, maybe some Amano shrimp, dwarf/preferably pygmy corys and a school of Neon/Green Neon Tetras or any other similarly sized schooling fish.
Plants/scape: HC for sure....and this is where you guys come in.

I can't decide on the scape! I know for sure I want to use a carpet of HC but I don't know if I want to do something Iwagumi style, or if I want to do something with wood....or what. I was thinking maybe having the carpet in the front and some stems in the back...but I'm not really that good at visualizing something that I've never owned or used. I was thinking Ludwigia Pantanal or some other leafy plant I could use along the back to give it a nice bit of color and height in the back. I'd love to hear anything you guys have in mind or any pictures you'd like to post. The budget I had in mind is $250~$300, so feel free to post any alternatives to the equipment I've listed if it would save me some cash. Thanks again, folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bumperu.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Last bump.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
WHEW! that's a big request! so many directions to go in.... I think the equipment list looks good, check the Shrimp Lab under power sellers - she's got glass and acrylic lily pipes at very nice prices and much more local then your link. I think the best I can help with is two suggestions: youtube - I drift around there from time to time and from planted tank to planted tank - great inspiration as well as you will find AMAZING tanks here as well. I found that I was drawn to stone at 1st - then realized I had to have wood as well (another excuse for another tank) I know its a tough decision, Good luck and keep us posted on what you find and decide to do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
WHEW! that's a big request! so many directions to go in.... I think the equipment list looks good, check the Shrimp Lab under power sellers - she's got glass and acrylic lily pipes at very nice prices and much more local then your link. I think the best I can help with is two suggestions: youtube - I drift around there from time to time and from planted tank to planted tank - great inspiration as well as you will find AMAZING tanks here as well. I found that I was drawn to stone at 1st - then realized I had to have wood as well (another excuse for another tank) I know its a tough decision, Good luck and keep us posted on what you find and decide to do!
Thanks for the response. It isn't ALL necessarily a request, mainly just the scape. I'm not asking someone else to do my shopping for me, haha. You're very right about YouTube and our fellow forum users in terms of inspiration. I have quite a few tanks I'd love to replicate but I didn't want to copy someone else's work...you know? I was actually thinking about a moss-covered piece of driftwood and the HC carpet...but I'm not sure how that would look. It seems alright in my mind, though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
There's one way to find out!
I bet it would look great! there are some great pieces of wood in the SNS right now as well. I bought a bunch of sticks off the SNS, add a handful of zip ties, a hand saw and ended up with a great wood centerpiece (IMO, lol) I would not worry about copying someones tank - I have done that with each tank i set up but when it was done, it was my own tank due to plants/wood and such being so varied - think of it more as inspiration

I say start in that direction - once you get there you'll know if you want to add more and with your set up you'll be able to do just about anything you want.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
There's one way to find out!
I bet it would look great! there are some great pieces of wood in the SNS right now as well. I bought a bunch of sticks off the SNS, add a handful of zip ties, a hand saw and ended up with a great wood centerpiece (IMO, lol) I would not worry about copying someones tank - I have done that with each tank i set up but when it was done, it was my own tank due to plants/wood and such being so varied - think of it more as inspiration

I say start in that direction - once you get there you'll know if you want to add more and with your set up you'll be able to do just about anything you want.
Yeah, I talked it over with my gf last night and even let her pick out a few pieces of manzanita she liked and tried to describe the scape I had in mind to her. She seemed to like it, but I'm still not sure if I want to go rocks or wood...I love the way that rock formations + the right plants make a tank look spectacular, but I also love the way that the right piece of wood and plants around that wood make a tank look spectacular in the same respect.

My problem now: GLA won't have more tanks in for 4 weeks. Anyone know of any other companies aside from ADA that sell quality glass? The tank I was looking at was $80 before shipping (GLA 60-L).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode