Live foods - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Live foods

has anyone used these guys?

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/dryfeeds.html

or can someone recomend a better / cheaper place?

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
There are some people in the swap n shop section that I've seen selling live food. Post a want to buy live foods and I'm sure someone will offer you some.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
There are some people in the swap n shop section that I've seen selling live food. Post a want to buy live foods and I'm sure someone will offer you some.
True but not enough of a variety at the same time.

(i.e. 500 ml culture - Ostracods, daphnia, rotifers, ceriodaphnia, copepods, tubifex worms, amphipods, a healthy helping of duckweed is added to make this a neat little aquarium plankton starter!.... $28.95 shipped.)

I quit!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've used them. Pricey but good.
You can check aquabid too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Haven't used them for live food (though I agree some of it looks pricey), but I've purchased fish from them in the past and they were excellent.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I still cannot seem to find a source for a multitude of live foods in one culture. All of the referals seem to be only one type of specific food. So, it seems as though this ( http://www.aquaculturestore.com/dryfeeds.html ) is the only place to obtain it ... I find that hard to believe but I can't seem to get google to work for me to find another. Which is why I have turn here ... and still nothing turns up even at out SNS here most only sell/ trade one type of live food and not the plethora that I am seeking.

A way (certainly not a safe way) would be to go to a nearby pond and collect some goop from there.

So how about it, any avice on this?

I quit!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The link just took me to a site full of dry feeds.

I cultured daphnia for awhile, but eventually seed shrimp took over the culture. Fish ate those too, but I eventually lost interest.

I always grew a lot of cladophora in my daphnia culture also.

My grow out tank is swimming with cyclops, but I haven't come up with a reasonable way to transfer any substantial number to the tank I have fish in.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
The link just took me to a site full of dry feeds.

They have other links at the top of the page for all of there other foods depending on what you want FW / SW etc.

Check under "FW inverts" and "FW verts"

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Children Boogie

Check aquabid again. There's a sale for a nematode worm package. You're very unlikely to find a ALL live food package although you can call or email aquaculture and ask them to include everything they have as a package.

There's nothing wrong with going by a nearby pond either as long it's not contaminated.

I actually have a live food community tank with snails, daphnia, & copepods but the copepods eventually died off. I guess they were out competed. That's the problem with having a inverts community tank. It's a bare bottom 29G with algae, duckweed & water lettuce.

I have some blackworms (tubifex's cousin) I bought for $1 from a lfs living in a 10G tank now. They can live in a fully aquatic environment but they need a mature substrate to bury themselves in to feed.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Dont know about all those included in one package, but chrisnif has grindle +microworms as well as vinegar eels in the SNS section.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Check aquabid again. There's a sale for a nematode worm package. You're very unlikely to find a ALL live food package although you can call or email aquaculture and ask them to include everything they have as a package.

There's nothing wrong with going by a nearby pond either as long it's not contaminated.

I actually have a live food community tank with snails, daphnia, & copepods but the copepods eventually died off. I guess they were out competed. That's the problem with having a inverts community tank. It's a bare bottom 29G with algae, duckweed & water lettuce.

I have some blackworms (tubifex's cousin) I bought for $1 from a lfs living in a 10G tank now. They can live in a fully aquatic environment but they need a mature substrate to bury themselves in to feed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Dont know about all those included in one package, but chrisnif has grindle +microworms as well as vinegar eels in the SNS section.
These are the types of foods that that web site has all in one package deal: Ostracods, daphnia, rotifers, ceriodaphnia, copepods, tubifex worms, and amphipods

As far as collecting from streams and ponds ...sure it can be done if I could get to it in a wheelchair. I don't know of many that have wheelchair access that are not polluted in some way.

You see there is always a back story to why people ask a specific question in a specific way. And if many would spend more time just answering the question instead of telling them some otherway then one would not need to go through all of these semantics as to why going to a stream or pond is not convenient.

Now if someone could just answer the question where can I get a full complement of these: Ostracods, daphnia, rotifers, ceriodaphnia, copepods, tubifex worms, amphipods. in one package for less money that I can get them here: http://www.aquaculturestore.com

And BTW I already keep Black work in many of my tanks ...

Sorry if I sound a bit jaded ... but i get a little tire of reading peoples questions not being answered directly and it's not just mine.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was surfing this evening and stumbled across this ...

"I was talking to a friend about some ostracods on another forum. She informed me during the conversation that Cyclops (below) are potential carriers for camallanus. I thought that was worth passing along because I always thought they were completely harmless. Some of the conversation:

they [cyclops] are generally not dangerous, but it is possible for cyclops to act as a carrier of camallanus worm larvae. The presence of cyclops doesn't mean "OMG--my fish are all going to get camallanus and DIE!" and indeed, I've had them in my tanks without incident, but they are capable of carrying it and it does happen in aquaria. If they are cyclops, and their origin unknown, it's worth keeping an eye out for symptoms of camallanus worms, especially if the tank is home to guppies.

This is a qout from: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ze-them-6.html perma link 81.

Any questions as to why one should trust stuff taken from stream and ponds?

Just sayin' ...

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Children Boogie

If you understand the life cycle of calamus, you wouldn't worry too much. Yes, cyclops,daphnia etc... can be carriers but with proper quarantine, the cycle is broken.
Also if the pond has no fish in it, there's very little chance of fish parasites because the link in the calamus cycle never existed in the first place.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
If you understand the life cycle of calamus, you wouldn't worry too much. Yes, cyclops,daphnia etc... can be carriers but with proper quarantine, the cycle is broken.
Also if the pond has no fish in it, there's very little chance of fish parasites because the link in the calamus cycle never existed in the first place.
Someone suggested I collect live foods from a pond or stream (which I am unable to do) and put that directly in my tank foor food.

I said early on that putting wild caught micro fauna in one's tank was not a safe thing to do. and this as stated in my earlier post is part of the reason why ... not to mention that one might get other invasive nasties that will attack and kill your fish.

But this thread is not about collecting wild micro fauna ... nor it ill or sometimes benefits ...

its about where I might be able to obtain:

Ostracods, daphnia, rotifers, ceriodaphnia, copepods, tubifex worms, amphipods.

in one stop shopping possibly for less money than here:

http://www.aquaculturestore.com

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I bit the bullet and bought these today. They'll be here Wednesday.

I'll be keeping a standard culture going for 2 of my tanks.

Thanks for lookin'.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode