Help with Hydra removal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help with Hydra removal

Apparently one of the recent plants I acquired from an lfs gave me more than I paid for. In one of my smaller (20 gal) but more established planted tanks I have noticed the leaves of many of my otherwise really healthy plants have hydras on them. I don't want to just kill everything and start over, as I have some plants in the tank I don't even know if I'll be able to get again. I have read that gouramis eat hydras, but I would like to find a more sure fire way of getting rid of them quickly and permanently. I have also read small doses of copper will take them out, but this is also supposed to be harmful for the plants. Has anyone had this problem before and been able to solve it successfully without killing their plants? Please help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Pancur is great for killing it at .1gram/10 gallons of water. I wish I could find the link for you, but I bet if you pm mordalphus, he'll know some links right off hand since he seems to know about this method quite well.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can buy dog wormer at Petsmart that works. Check the ingredients for flubendazole. Dose 1 gram/ 10 gallons.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've heard the same with gouramis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hydra don't hurt anything do they? Just look ugly when too many of them spread.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Planted Member

They attack fish and shrimp.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt View Post
Try a peroxide squirt. 2mL per gallon of water. Although with shrimp I would push it down to 1 mL per gallon and turn the filter off when using the syringe. I did this for all types of algae and BGA when I had it.

Let the filters stay off for 20 minutes after you put it on, then do a 15% water change every other day for a week.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the advice! I wouldn't care except that I do breed tetras and they kill the fry when they are very small and steal their food! In addition I occasionally sell my extra plants back to the lfs(s) for store credit, i don't want to be responsible for bringing them, and countless others hydras!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
How large do they get? The ones I had were like tiny sea anemones, but they didn't bother my tadpoles.

Then they are to be avoided more than even plant eating pond snails.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Planted Member

They're very small but they sting like jelly fish.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tadpoles and mature shrimp are too big for hydra. It's the shrimplets and fry that they kill. They don't get very big, but don't need to if you're trying to breed anything smaller than livebearer fry.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
You can buy dog wormer at Petsmart that works. Check the ingredients for flubendazole. Dose 1 gram/ 10 gallons.
Careful when reading the ingredients! Fenbedazole is what you'll find in most of the easily found pet store dewormers. NOT the same thing. I made that mistake.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What happened when you added fenbendazole to the water? Someone on the site has offered to sell me some, and I was going to buy it. Is there a problem with it? I think you can by flubendazole as an aquarium product that is a fish dewormer, for what its worth. A friend of mine that keeps Discus told be about it. He said fenbendazole should be sprinked on the food and ingested, and flubendazole can be added to the water, but he didn't know what would happen if you added fenbendazole to the water.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC1127 View Post
What happened when you added fenbendazole to the water? Someone on the site has offered to sell me some, and I was going to buy it. Is there a problem with it? I think you can by flubendazole as an aquarium product that is a fish dewormer, for what its worth. A friend of mine that keeps Discus told be about it. He said fenbendazole should be sprinked on the food and ingested, and flubendazole can be added to the water, but he didn't know what would happen if you added fenbendazole to the water.
I'm assuming this is addressed to me, since I'm the one who made this error!
I added Fen to the water one evening, discovered my mistake later the next day and then did a massive water change. While I had no fish loss from the error, I was lucky. Fen is thought to cause gill damage (burning). Dose it in food only. I made a mix of Fen and water, soaked frozen bloodworms and fed for three days. Worked great for me! Don't worry about a little Fen in the water from the feeding unless you have a particularly sensitive fish like a Discus. There are also Fen medicated flakes available. I can't remember where I saw them offered though.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Angelsplus sell medicated flake.
Sewingalot made the fen/flu mistake and had massive fish loses.

Know what your dosing with before adding it to your tank!
Read twice and dose once LOL

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode