90 degree tank water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
90 degree tank water?

My tank water reads 90 degrees due to the heat wave in NYC. Can anyone tell me what too hot is for tropical fish or am I good for now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Blow a fan across the top of the water, you'll be surprised at the temp drop...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
You also may want to turn your lights on at night instead. Those strong lights can heat up water quickly.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
80 is hot, 84 I think very hot, & 90 is over the top. You may want to run an air pump with a bubble wand to get oxygen into the water, you should also use a fan(s) at the waters surface, lower the time your lighting is on or raise your lights off of the waters surface to help with the temperature. You may start to have algae problems and problems with fish but remember not to drop the temp too fast or you could lose fish, good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Holy that's hot!

Def run a fan over it and an airstone to help oxygenate the tank. You can also put some ice in there, I've heard of people doing that, but I think the fan's a better idea.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Yeah 90 is too hot for fish or plants, neither will make it for long. You really want mid 70's at the hottest unless you have discus or a reef tank..

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
90 is too hot for reefs too.

blow a fan across the surface or you can freeze a bunch of water bottles and drop em in. that way when the ice melts it doesn't go into your water and you cna just use water straight from the tap, no need to use prime or anything

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Blow a fan across the top of the water, you'll be surprised at the temp drop...
Oh really? I thought about putting a fan in front of tank but i didn't think it would do much. I will try what u suggest.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary1226 View Post
You also may want to turn your lights on at night instead. Those strong lights can heat up water quickly.
Yea. My lights do not go on till 6pm anyway. May I will just leave them off for today and tomorrow or for a few hours rather than 7. Thanks
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
80 is hot, 84 I think very hot, & 90 is over the top. You may want to run an air pump with a bubble wand to get oxygen into the water, you should also use a fan(s) at the waters surface, lower the time your lighting is on or raise your lights off of the waters surface to help with the temperature. You may start to have algae problems and problems with fish but remember not to drop the temp too fast or you could lose fish, good luck.
Oh wow. I am at work now. It is now 104 here in NYC. It actually might be over 90 now. I'm scared to go home and see dead fish. I have CO2 but off now, I have a air pump running on low 24/7 and I also have a small 9W UV light on with pump. Lights are off all day till evening. Lets see what happens. I thought about a chiller but it not worth it since it never gets 104 in NYC.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMott View Post
Holy that's hot!

Def run a fan over it and an airstone to help oxygenate the tank. You can also put some ice in there, I've heard of people doing that, but I think the fan's a better idea.
I thought about ice myself but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. Anyone wanna chime in on that idea?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Yeah 90 is too hot for fish or plants, neither will make it for long. You really want mid 70's at the hottest unless you have discus or a reef tank..
:icon_c ry:
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
ice in a zip-lock bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
I thought about ice myself but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. Anyone wanna chime in on that idea?

Sean

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
frozen water bottles will only work for a short amount of time, the fan blowing across the water surface is going to be your best bet, but be prepared to top off the tank frequently.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
No ac in NYC?

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode