Fluval Ebi & the projectile backgound problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Fluval Ebi & the projectile backgound problem

Howdy all!

I got a Fluval Ebi for my birthday! I already filled it up and added the substrate, but there's nothing else in it yet so I am trying to decide if I should take some action to prevent the 'background shooting up' issue that I've heard about.

Having looked around in the forum, I noticed a bunch of people reporting this problem. Then again, I noticed plenty of people who have an Ebi that don't have the issue so I'm not sure how common it seems.

Adding a bead of silicone across the top doesn't seem like it would help much. To really secure the back, I think it would be best to try and remove it completely then really secure it back to the tank.

But, is it necessary? I can't get a grasp on how common a problem this is. The lfs said they'd never heard of it, and of the 3 people I know who have an Ebi only one of them had the bg shoot out.

Any opinions/experience on this??

thanks! Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Two words.......

MOSS WALL

Hey there Dave,
I have an EBI as well. There great. I was very disappointed in the “foam” rock background. I decided to make a moss wall out of Christmas moss. Looks freaking awesome and the shrimp love it. Here is the link to my post.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/130862-dons-ebi.html

Hope you like it. Also a lot of people that have this kit have changed out the light to a compact more watt unit. I am going to do an update soon on mine since it has changed dramatically. I just had a batch of crystal reds.

-Don
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I sort of like the built in background

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have mine left in and have no problems. If you superglue the corner lid holders that sit ontop of the background on the edge in place they will act as braces in case it does pop up
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I wonder if I could drain the tank and take the top 3/4 of the background off, leaving the bottom connected (so that I don't have to remove the substrate). Then I could just dab silicone all around the back as I push the background back on.

I guess it would be pretty easy to do that just as a precaution.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
if you do a moss wall i'm going to laugh dave. I do have lots of weeping moss that you can have before i leave.....lol

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't even like to type the word moss!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ill have to get some better pics of my wall, ebi foam that has moss growing all over it now, i think it looks better than the egg crate/netting moss walls. its really growing good over the last few weeks after trimming some away to let more light get to it.

new pics up to see what it looks like a bit more filled in.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tonight I decided to try and see how well the bg was glued to the glass. I wedged my finger behind the glass a bit (a very little bit) and the foam readily popped up with almost no effort at all. So I tugged it a bit more and the whole top half of the bg is loose. The substrate is still wet but I almost think I could loosen it a bit more then drop silicone between the bg and glass as I push it back on and it would be stuck pretty good.

It is so poorly attached that I would be surprised if it stays on at all! Definitely a manufacturing flaw, but it comes loose so easily that it's trivial to reinforce it so no problem!

I need to buy some silicone adhesive, though. Is there a recommended brand/type that is aquarium safe?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Tonight I decided to try and see how well the bg was glued to the glass. I wedged my finger behind the glass a bit (a very little bit) and the foam readily popped up with almost no effort at all. So I tugged it a bit more and the whole top half of the bg is loose. The substrate is still wet but I almost think I could loosen it a bit more then drop silicone between the bg and glass as I push it back on and it would be stuck pretty good.

It is so poorly attached that I would be surprised if it stays on at all! Definitely a manufacturing flaw, but it comes loose so easily that it's trivial to reinforce it so no problem!

I need to buy some silicone adhesive, though. Is there a recommended brand/type that is aquarium safe?
Get ge type 1 it's safe. Don't use the type 2 because it has mold inhibitors in it which can make growing plants difficult. Also it says on the ge silicone that it's not safe for aquariums but thats a lie.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I put on a ton of silicone adhesive and the background is pretty well secured. I also put a bead around the top edge and used an razor to cut out a tiny bit where the lid brackets go on, since they didn't quite fit. I'm pretty sure this thing isn't going to shoot out now!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think that looks good dave.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode