Cycling Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling Help

I have knowledge of how to cycle a tank without a problem but with planted tanks im not sure about would it be the same thing as cycling a regular aquarium or do i do something different.

All answers appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if you have a good plant load. nothing is necessary. your roots are loaded wiith beneficial bacteria, provided you didnt dip them in anything ( potassium permanganate, bleach, or aluminium sulfate).
otherwise it basically works the same.

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
if you have a good plant load. nothing is necessary. your roots are loaded wiith beneficial bacteria, provided you didnt dip them in anything ( potassium permanganate, bleach, or aluminium sulfate).
otherwise it basically works the same.

Kk ty very much appreciated

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi Gunner,

Not that long ago my tank finished cycling . I used Eco-complete for the substrate and bought a small selection of plants that was enough to cover the substrate about half way or so in a 15g.

I let the water sit about 72 hours to get rid of the Chlorine. It was only after I could not get a straight answer from Public Works about whats used in the water that I put Seachem "prime" in. (better safe than sorry!)

The tank was planted and the filter working about 7-10 days before I added fish. This was mostly due to not being able to get to the LFS right away rather than serving any useful function.

Now,several weeks later the Ammonia,Nitrites, & Nitrates have stabilized and are where they're supposed to be, and the plants are doing ok.

HTH,

Martin

PS: PM me if you need anything
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_G View Post
Hi Gunner,

Not that long ago my tank finished cycling . I used Eco-complete for the substrate and bought a small selection of plants that was enough to cover the substrate about half way or so in a 15g.

I let the water sit about 72 hours to get rid of the Chlorine. It was only after I could not get a straight answer from Public Works about whats used in the water that I put Seachem "prime" in. (better safe than sorry!)

The tank was planted and the filter working about 7-10 days before I added fish. This was mostly due to not being able to get to the LFS right away rather than serving any useful function.

Now,several weeks later the Ammonia,Nitrites, & Nitrates have stabilized and are where they're supposed to be, and the plants are doing ok.

HTH,

Martin

PS: PM me if you need anything

Thats cool seems it pretty quick then for the tank to cycle thanks for your help.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

dont assume that adding a filter to water with no waste will cycle. the bacteria will not grow if there is nothing decaying for it to eat. fish food/ poop are primary.
plants will cycle the tank quickly and control ammonia and nitrates. however it can be done without plants. i've never done anything but put plants in and fish and start everything together

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Letting your water sit only allows the chlorine top off gas, it doesn't help with breaking the chloramine bond. Either use a hardy fish or two or just sprinkle food in there daily to create the bb food source. Every tank is different and depending on whether you use any old media, or plants that still actually have live bb, etc. some claim it takes days, others claim 4 weeks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Where I live Public Works probably uses Chloramine these days but I never got a straight answer from them.

Years ago when I first got into the hobby they only used Chlorine. I know you need fish or an ammonia source to start the cycling. If I had the fish at the same time I would have put them in after using Prime because I had problems with Public Works.

When I first started the filter, I wanted to wait a little bit as I was unfamiliar with this particular filter, but I certaintly did not expect it to be 1 1/2 weeks before I got the fish. The plan was to get fish the next day provided the filter worked properly, however, I wasn't able to go as I am disabled and I can't always go places when I need to. So I had to wait a bit.

" The tank was planted and the filter working about 7-10 days before I added fish. This was mostly due to not being able to get to the LFS right away rather than serving any useful function. "
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

blast chloramines, they make us use twice the product to make them safe aarrrgghhh!! well good luck cycling!if you have plants and a good filter is should go quite nicely for you

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode