Not that long ago my tank finished cycling . I used Eco-complete for the substrate and bought a small selection of plants that was enough to cover the substrate about half way or so in a 15g.
I let the water sit about 72 hours to get rid of the Chlorine. It was only after I could not get a straight answer from Public Works about whats used in the water that I put Seachem "prime" in. (better safe than sorry!)
The tank was planted and the filter working about 7-10 days before I added fish. This was mostly due to not being able to get to the LFS right away rather than serving any useful function.
Now,several weeks later the Ammonia,Nitrites, & Nitrates have stabilized and are where they're supposed to be, and the plants are doing ok.
PS: PM me if you need anything