Aquascape critique and stocking ideas please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aquascape critique and stocking ideas please

So I decided after 4 years out of the hobby to get back into fish and have setup a 15 gallon planted aquarium. I am looking for opinions on the aquascape I have done or any suggestions for improving it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7210066.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	32862

I haven't decided on stocking yet but am looking for ideas. I want to put some RCS in here but cant decide on fish. Some that I am seriously considering:
Celestial Pearl Danios
Cardinal tetra
Scarlet Badis
Some kind of killifish
Some sort of dwarf cichlid?
Other kind of tetra maybe?

Simple mechanical and biological filtration. The tank will get water changes at minimum, once a week. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Welcome back! Looks nice. Some ideas for improvement:

Fill up the tank so the water surface is hidden by the rim.
If you redo the tank, use a tad less substrate, esp in the front.

What is the yellowish moss attached to the driftwood?

Your fish choices are all pretty good. Some dwarf Cichlids think RCS are food, so you have to be careful there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah sorry. This pic was taken right after some aquascaping so the water was dropped slightly.The moss is java moss that I just had shipped to me so it is a little dried out and will need a couple weeks probably to rebound (hopefully).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
it looks like the wood is centered, I would suggest placing it off center.
Look up the "rule of thirds"

Get a blue or black background.

Other than those two things I think it looks great.

For that size tank I would go with a school of small tetras, like cardinals or neons and killifish.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a standard 15 g tank also. I have 6 Neons Tetras , a dozen Red Cherry Shrimp and there was 3 Celestial Pearl Danios but two died after nearly three months for no apparent reason.

There wasn't anything wrong with the water going by the test kit I use(API), and all of the fish were eating ok. When I first bought them they were juvies. Now the fish look like body builders on steroids!

I've been debating about adding more of the same fish or getting another variety thats about the same size when full grown like the "Chili" Rasbora. Alot depends on how the Neon Tetras behave with shrimp fry. When I first bought fish to cycle the tank, having shrimp wasn't a even a consideration for tank mates.

I can't give advice on the Dwarf Cichlids as I've never had Dwarfs, but I have had Convict Cichlids.

After about 5-6 months the Convicts became very territorial and would attack any fish that got close, and they crippled a smaller fish. I finally gave them to a friend who had single species tanks for Cichlids.

So far the Neons or CPD haven't bothered the RCS but I am worried if they'll eat any shrimp fry.

If this happens they are probably going to go to another home as I would like to breed the CRS. Whether you decide to breed them or not please remember to have some places for them to hide like plants and caves for molting, having fry, or just hangin' out!

Before I got the shrimp I was looking up the water specs needed for them. From what I read online there wasn't much agreement on the maximum amount of Nitrates they can tolerate.

Supposedly,anything between 0 & 80 ppm was ok, according to some shrimp articles,some of what I read listed 50 ppm max, and the seller I got them from said 10 ppm max so thats what I went by.

If you stay right around the 10 ppm limit you should be fine. Considering that the sellers shrimp were healthy and breeding at 10 ppm of Nitrates that fine with me!

(I was advised to have leaf in the tank by the seller to give the shrimp a snack.)

About 1/3rd of the female CRS appear to be near pregnancy so I guess we will see what happens (with the neons).

My water is between 5 & 10 ppm (Nitrates) and 0 ppm for Ammonia & Nitrites. pH is 7.4 and hardness GH/KH is 89.4. Temperature is 79 "F".

HTH

PS: #1) Even if the Dwarf Cichlids can't eat the shrimp they might stress them out with being attacked.

#2) When you first get the shrimp they won't look red. It takes a few hours to change colors. They look great on dark substrate. I'm using black Eco-complete.

#3) As the CPD's grew their coloration "filled out" .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Looks nice, I'd throw about 40 chili rasboras in there...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd move the upside down stump to the left, rear of the tank. Otherwise it looks really good I think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode