Tap water from hell - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tap water from hell

Is it possible that my local tap water is so terrible that it is beyond repair even after using chemicals? The ph is 8.8, there is ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and the water is super hard. The other day I put some pH neutralizer in a bucket of tap for a water change and after a couple minutes, the water got so cloudy it was nearly completely opaque... I tried the same thing about three more times with new water and received the same results. And the pH didn't really go down and I down want to load my tank with chems. Anyone else have terrible tap water and have had success fixing it? Or will I just have to get RO water to remedy the situation?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
if it is as bad as you say RO might be the way to go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm dealing with about the same thing. I am planning on RO water but right now it is a pain to try and collect enough for a 90 gal tank.

Will be following this discussion to see what people reccomend.

Good luck!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

An RO filter setup is cheap when you look at it long term.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Dude, that's just terrible! But yeah, RO would be the best solution, perhaps second to having your own well...

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Changing your pH with chemicals is worthless and dangerous.... With hard water you'll get nowhere.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Dude, that's just terrible! But yeah, RO would be the best solution, perhaps second to having your own well...
If I had well water it would be even worse. The reason we have a small community water system is that the well water here is sooo bad.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would agree with the people the recommended RO water. In fact, you might want to consider an RO drinking water system also. If it's not good enough for your fish, it's likely not good enough for you.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
r/o and a nitrate cartridge from crystal quest...if its still really bad add on A DI...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have crazy high PH water (between 9.2 and 9.8 out of the tap) as well and made the switch to RO. Best decision I ever made as I had a lot of trouble before the RO water. I didn't even realize you could get tap water with a PH so high...just lucky I guess :/
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
My water has a ph of 8.4, kh and gh exceed the range of my test strips, and I'm scared to test any further, but oddly enough, my fish and plants like it. In other words, if it's not a problem, don't mess with it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From what you all seem to be saying, I guess the best plan of action would be an RO filter. What's funny is the other day people in my area weren't even allowed to drink the water without boiling it because of a potential risk of getting infected with E. Coli bacteria. Anyone else in the south Florida area know what I'm talking about? Anyway, so the water isn't great. But back to the topic, what if I get RO water from my lfs from a self-serve station? Anyone do that currently that doesn't think it's a pain in the neck? I feel like it would take a pretty big amount of time for a RO filter system to pay itself back since I don't do water changes that often.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And I'm still open to hearing more possible ways to fix my tap without having to switch to a reverse osmosis filter. Miracle cures are definitely still welcomed.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could do jugs, but it would be a pain in the ass unless you had a really small tank.

I'd try working with what you've got and see what happens before spending a lot of money messing with it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miira View Post
You could do jugs, but it would be a pain in the ass unless you had a really small tank.

I'd try working with what you've got and see what happens before spending a lot of money messing with it.
Exactly, I'd really like to work with what I have before spending tons of money or making a trek to the lfs everytime I need water. I don't have any big tanks, a 29 gallon, a 10 gallon, and then a tiny 3 gallon. So it's not a lot of water.. But if I could remediate my tap, that would be just beautiful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode