hob filter help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
hob filter help

I have a hob filter, nothing fancy but it does the job for now. My problem is that I have a betta in the tank and i have to make the flow of water easier on him. I cut a soda bottle in half and and stuck it over the flow. Now the water flows down the back of the tank and not across the top. I have soil topped with play sand in my tank and the water going down the back of the tank pushes the sand off and makes the soil float up and then it settles on the leaves of my plants, killing them.

What can I do to change the flow of the water so it doesn't bother the betta and so it doesn't keep disturbing the sand? I have rocks placed against the glass under the filter but it doesn't seem to be working.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You can use a piece of coarse sponge to effectively quiet the outflow. Just attach it somehow to the lip. It needs to be coarse enough so the water basically soaks into the sponge. The size of the sponge determines how much the outflow current is reduced - larger sponge, more reduction.

The Aquaclear sponges work well for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yup, I've used lots of sponges on HOB filters before. As for a betta not liking flow, don't tell my betta. I have a HOB filter on his tank and he loves playing in the flow, goes in it all the time. lol

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks!

I have a sponge on the intake, but you mean putting one on the place where the water comes out, right?

My bettta also plays in the current on the side where the water comes out. I didn't realise I could let the water flow full force in there. I thought it might hurt him. I think I will take everything (not the sponge on the intake though) off for a bit and see how he does. Thank you
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
Thanks!

I have a sponge on the intake, but you mean putting one on the place where the water comes out, right?

My bettta also plays in the current on the side where the water comes out. I didn't realise I could let the water flow full force in there. I thought it might hurt him. I think I will take everything (not the sponge on the intake though) off for a bit and see how he does. Thank you
Yes, a piece of sponge under the outtake, secured on there by rubber bands or something will reduce the flow greatly, but if your betta likes the flow, then go for it. lol.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks I will give it a try.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode