fish shop policy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question fish shop policy

Yesterday I went to a local fish shop and bought 25 rummynose tetras. The guy working at the fish shop put all 25 in one bag. I was concerned but thought if I got home fast enough it wouldnt be a problem. But by the time I got home 1 fish was already dead, and a second was on the way out and died an hour later. The other 23 are going strong.

Is it considered okay for 25 tetras to be placed into a single bag and is this likely what killed 2 of them?

The 2 that died had no other signs of sickness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
3 days ago I bought 30 tetras, all placed in one bag. Haven't had a single death.

I guess it depends on the bag size, water quality they were in, and the health of the fish.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
check and see if they have a grantee. most places i've been it's at least 24 hours (unless it's a sensitive fish or invert)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
i purchased 24 white clouds at once and they were all in a single bag.

granted, since then i think i've lost 6-8 of them :/ but none due to the being placed in the bag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yea, I think it's OK to place them all in the same bag, esp for a short while. I too think it depends more on the health of the fish and the environment from which they came, than it does the bag they are put in.

I recently bought 5 tiger barbs, 2 or 3 died within a few days. I went back and got 10 (all in the same bag), none have died and it's been around 2+ weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Rummynose are specifically sensitive to water quality changes and from my experience have much lower than average survival rate to start with. The store should have at least a 24 hour guarantee though as stated above.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the input everyone. the 23 survivors seem to be doing well. I have started them on New Life Spectrum small fish formula. they were very shy yesterday after I added them to the tank. Today they are swimming around much more assertively. I think the ones that made it will be healthy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love NLS. Started feeding it back when I had cichlids. I'm currently feeding NLS grow formula to my semi-aggressive community tank with tiger barbs and a blue gourami.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Obviously the OTHER signs of sickness are related. I don't buy fish that have other signs of illness in the tank.

I've had tetras shipped to me with over 50 in a bag with no loss.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Go back and give the shop the chance to make it right and earn your business. I agree with the other comments, chances are "the Deceased" would have been belly up if they stayed in the shop.

I don't think that they put to many fish in the bag. However, as a customer I wouldn't think it is too much to ask to split the oder into two bags. Claiming "policy" is the lazy way out in business. Customer loyalty is earned.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Algae Grower

I sold fish & would never have put that many fish in a normal sized bag the stores use. After 30 minutes; most of the oxygen is going to be used unless pure oxygen was put in the bag

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode