Goldfish and plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Goldfish and plants

Anybody have any experience with goldfish and plants. Any plant suggestions would be welcome. Would need to be very low tech/light choices.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I have been Googling that topic for a while myself, while I was concidering a Oranda tank. Java fern & Java moss come-up search after search.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 55g tank with two commons. Vallisnerias (except jungle val), crypts, swords, Rotala (particularly rotundifolia), Ceratopteris thalictroides. Mosses work, but they will rip Marimo 'moss' balls to shreds (it's really an algae). Anything fine-leaved like Rotala wallichi is near impossible; with such tender little leaves, it's salad.

Personally, I'd start a soil tank, it's low-cost, low maintenance, and gives the plants a major leg up. http://thegab.org/Plants/goldfish-an...-approach.html

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

I've had success with jungle val (the leaves are now about 3-4 feet in the 75 gallon tank), crypt Wendtii, Amazon swordplant, hornwort, cabomba, java fern, and anubia in a low light low tech (no CO2, no Excel, twin T12 shoplight) 75 gallon. Six veiltail and one moor goldfish in that tank.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks everybody, I have a well established 30 gallon tank with vals, cabomba, java fern, a moss ball, micro sword, rotala and huge amount of wisteria
My tropical fish have all gone now and I wanted to transfer my two fantails into the aquarium.

What temperature do you all keep your tanks at I know goldfish are cold water, but the plants are more tropical aren't they?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
If you can grow plants up and out of the top of the tank then riparium plants would be a good choice.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most of the aquarium plants we keep will grow fine at the temperature the average aquarist keeps their tank. They won't mind cold water, except they'll maybe have a little melt, but you can prevent this by turning down your heater by degree or two each day until you reach your desired temperature. With your fancies, you are aiming for a cooler tropical temperature, 70-75* is optimal.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
I've had success......crypt Wendtii.... in a low light low tech (no CO2, no Excel,.....one moor goldfish in that tank.
Rick how large was the Moor? I still haven't ruled out a Planted GF tank. If GF will leave Crypts alone I might go that way.

I had a 50 hex years ago that had Ryukins in it (no plants). I often feed mashed frozen peas. I raised them between a golf & tennis ball size, before I got bored and traded them off for some credit at the LFS.

I wonder if offered some greens like Peas if that might help discurrage plant nibbling???

crazydeweycat - From what I remember Fancy GF do well in in the 66-72 range. I had a summer when I had to put ice in that tank every morning before work as we did not run the A/C the house when we were gone. The following year I set up a temp. tank in the basement for July & Aug.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Rick how large was the Moor? I still haven't ruled out a Planted GF tank. If GF will leave Crypts alone I might go that way.

..I wonder if offered some greens like Peas if that might help discurrage plant nibbling???
Counting fins, the moor is about 7-8 inches. I estimate the body is about 4 inches. It was that size when I bought it. Someone traded-in or sold a number of large fish to the store and the wife wanted that one. I think I have it for at least 4 months now.

The fish are for the wife and the plants are for me. The wife was feeding those suckers 3-4 times a day, which could be a factor in them ignoring plants. Peas are recommended as a regular treat to keep the goldfish "regular" and avoid swim bladder problems, but I haven't used them for food very often. They did wolf down thawed frozen peas when I tried it hoping to help a veiltail I had at the time.

Concerning temperature, I'm in Florida and the tank is unheated. Since the winter house temperature is 70 degrees F, the tank is likely 69 to 72 F. With summer AC temperature set at 75, I see the room temperature vary from 76 to 80 F.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode