Changing substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Changing substrate

Is there any easy way to change or add more substrate with fish in the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
adding yet... changing no. your best bet would be to move the fish, their water, a large portion of the substrate and filtration to a temporary tub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
adding yet... changing no. your best bet would be to move the fish, their water, a large portion of the substrate and filtration to a temporary tub

how long can they hold like that?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've redone my tank and upgraded to a new tank about 3 times in a 2 week period after the plant/shrimp bug bit me. lol. I drained some water into a pot, scooped up my frogs, fish and shrimp, put an air stone in there and then switched my substrate over from a 10gal to a 20long, trimmed my plants, replanted, everything, refilled, let the water sit and clear up and stablized to room temp, so probably a few hours anyways from start to finish.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
I switched my substrate in my shrimp tank from flourite to fluval stratum. I just took everything out (plants, driftwood, etc). Scooped out 90% of it, slowly to not scoop out any shrimp and not mess up the water horribly, left some of the mulm and some of the substrate that I couldn't get out (maybe a half inch, I also didn't know if I would have enough stratum that's why I left about a half inch). Placed the driftwood where I wanted it. Then gently rinsed the stratum and put it in slowly with a little glad Tupperware container. Let the filter run for a hour after I was done and it cleared up pretty quickly, and replanted everything. I had I think 2 shrimp die, probably from stress, but outside of that it went pretty smoothly.

If you leave some of the mulm, your filter is cycled, and depending on how densly planted it is you shouldn't have to worry about any type of recycle as long as the substrate won't cause a cycle (I.e Aquasoil causes a ammonia spike for a short while after introduced to a tank).

Note: This is just my experience, others may have different experiences with changing substrate and the effects on live stock.

Fraternity of dirt #8

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I'm doing some research and I've got a question about the Oil Dri.

Since it's made of clay does it have the same benefit as laterite in that it absorbs nutrients and holds them until the plants can use them??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode