Iwagumi (minimalist style): hardscape and plant selection suggestions... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iwagumi (minimalist style): hardscape and plant selection suggestions...

Hello!

I was looking to start a tank my first journal, but first i need some thoughts on plant selection and hardscape. After ogling () at tanks for about 2 months, i finally worked up the courage to begin investing in my own tank. This is my arsenal of gear thus far:

TANK: ADA Mini M
SUBSTRATE: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (New)
LIGHTING: Archaea 27 watt side-mounted light fixture
HARDSCAPE (thus far): petrified wood from ND...

My first question is, can one rock make make an iwagumi scape? I keep seeing tanks with single rock setups that look extremely "artificial" and out of place. Then again, i think this has to do more with the plant/hardscape selection in the first place. Should i keep this hardscape or keep looking?

...Which leads to my second question.... what plants would compliment this hardscape best!?!? The following picture kinda/sorta conveys the feeling/look i would like to achieve.
This means the foreground is an extremely important selection for me. For example, HC would not be a good selection, IMO. I would love to get some feedback on this, since i have ZERO experience when it comes to any of this.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
maybe some DHG. i just started my mini m today. 3 stones is a good number in that tank. but petrified wood messes with water a lot i heard. i have Ryuoh stones in mine. they look sweet, nice cracks and crevices. you need to buy the solar light for it because it is made for it so of course it's awesome. get a canister filter and the ada lily pipes made for it. also pick up the thermometer that is made for it. gotta love Aqua Design Awesome!

and get the aquasoil system! ada should be paying me for this haha.

My ADA Mini-M
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
lol. Everytime i go to ADG website, i'm tempted to buy the solar mini! Alas, i resist the urge. The price is the killer part! Anyways, the archaea is pretty much the same fixture (same bulb), just a lot less sexier .

I also here 3 stones is the magic number for a small tank (or at least an odd number for any iwagumi-style layout).

And DHG seems like a pretty good choice! I was thinking i might use it more for the middleground and background, so i could have a gradual transition in length. kinda like this...

I wonder if people try mixing species of grass? i.e. use a naturally shorter grass as the foreground and taller for the background (which would sorta give it that "overgrown lawn with tall weeds" look ).

anyways, i'm just speculating. But, again, thanks 10galfornow for the idea!

p.s. nice healthy looking RCS you have! .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc60 View Post
I wonder if people try mixing species of grass? i.e. use a naturally shorter grass as the foreground and taller for the background (which would sorta give it that "overgrown lawn with tall weeds" look ).
The problem with DHG is that it's so effective at spreading everywhere that keeping it contained is next to impossible. Because of this you'll just get a jumbled mixture of short and tall species intermixing in no time.

In the picture you've posted I think the aquascaper attempted to have a simple HC foreground with DHG background but failed and ended up with a "natural-looking" mixture. The same thing happened to me despite my best efforts to barricade the DHG with a plastic divider. I ended up removing all the DHG and restarted again with just HC.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and my

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10galfornow View Post
but petrified wood messes with water a lot i heard.
Nope. Petrified wood is just quartz, which is inert. Perfectly safe in the aquarium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode