is this good wood? beach drift wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
is this good wood? beach drift wood

I have access to a lot of driftwood in my brothers back yard. he lives on the bay and tons of cool branches of driftwood floats on his beach. is this wood safe for tanks?

here are two pics:
this one is about 24" long

and this one is about the same..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
boil it for an hr or so (to kill things) and then soak it for a month...changing out the water at least once a week

the wood is safe, but you want to get the excess salt out of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thats cool. I wonder if its worth it bc there are so many laying there....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Anything you find at the beach you will need to soak, do water changes in a separate bucket for a few months to get the salt out as optix said.

You might be better off and save some time and effort by finding pieces in/around freshwater areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

doesnt the salt kinda "preserve" the wood? I know wood found near freshwater tends to rot and fall apart in tanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It could preserve it, but you'd still want to get it out before putting it in the tank.

wood that has not come into contact with salt might rot faster, but if you stick with species like Oak you wont have to worry about rotting for at least a few years. The main thing is to find a piece that isn't rotting to begin with.

For example in my 29 gallon tank I have an Oak branch I collected. I found it hiking a trail one day after a storm. I took it home, stripped its bark, checked to make sure that it was just dead and not rotting, then I scrubbed it with a wire brush and hot water and stuck it in the tank. I took some risk by not boiling it, running it through the dishwasher, or baking it first, but it was a risk I was comfortable with.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
It could preserve it, but you'd still want to get it out before putting it in the tank.

wood that has not come into contact with salt might rot faster, but if you stick with species like Oak you wont have to worry about rotting for at least a few years. The main thing is to find a piece that isn't rotting to begin with.

For example in my 29 gallon tank I have an Oak branch I collected. I found it hiking a trail one day after a storm. I took it home, stripped its bark, checked to make sure that it was just dead and not rotting, then I scrubbed it with a wire brush and hot water and stuck it in the tank. I took some risk by not boiling it, running it through the dishwasher, or baking it first, but it was a risk I was comfortable with.
a BIG no no
very expensive repair to clean the dirt outta those

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
a BIG no no
very expensive repair to clean the dirt outta those
there are many people on here that do the dishwasher thing with driftwood. I decided I didn't want to run the chance of messing ours up, the wife would not be happy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode