75 gallon stocking questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
75 gallon stocking questions.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up my new 75 gallon tank. I would like to have Discus, Rummy Nose Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, and Sterbai Cories.

It will be a heavily planted tank with a 20 gallon sump as the filtration. Inside the sump there are two spots for filter pads, normally I run a Carbon pad, and a some filter floss. It also has a compartment with tons of bio balls.

Now my question is, what kind of numbers do you guys think I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
you cant have too many discus in a 75. they get pretty big. I would say 4 or 5 max and thats pushing it
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 9 cory sterbai in my tank. They are doing a great job. Mine are still very small but they will be enough for this size tank. Forgot to mention it is also a 75 gal.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Yeah, I definitely won't do any more than 5 discus. I was more looking for numbers on the smaller fish.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have 20 glow light, 20 bloodfin tetras and 10 sterbai city's in my 75 gallon with 2 kribs, a striped Raphael catfish, 6 khuli loaches, 2 zebra loaches and 2 swordtails. I run a Marineland C-360 and a SuSun canister.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could easily do 7-8 discus in that tank, with a few dither fish.
If you're only going to keep 5 discus, then you can readily add say 6 each of rummy noses and sterbai cories, along with say 8 cardinals.
I have 10 sub-adult discus in a tank that size, along with about a dozen other fish, a few each of rasboras, cardinals, & cories, one SAE, plus a half dozen Amano shrimp. All in there close to a year now and all doing very well. Mind you, I have strong filtration, 2 -3 X weekly 60% wcs, and a religious tank cleansing/maintenance routine.
Care to have a look ?:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...cuspaul/2tanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Okay, thanks for the input, guys. As I said before I do tend to overstock my tank, but I rarely if ever have fish loss. I over filtrate my tanks a ton. My sump has about a 5 gallon bucket of bio balls, a bag of carbon, and I also use filter floss. I'll be honest and say I don't do frequent water changes, and I do not generally test my water for anything unless I have a reason to. I know most people won't agree with that, and that's fine everyone has there own way of doing things, and this has worked well for me. I mainly try to keep things stable, and let the plants and the bacteria do there job. Anyway, who knows what numbers I will end up with. I may end up just keeping keeping the one discus I already have and getting about 25 of each dither fish. Not sure how many sterbais

Nice pictures, Discus paul!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Let us know what your eventual stocking decision is, Zach, and post some pics for us to have a look at. Best of luck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also never test my water - it really just isn't necessary once we have the grasp of what's going on. The good thing is that in a heavily planted tank the water will be much better then without the plants, which is great for the discus. I would go with 10 corys, 6 juvi discus, and maybe 12 cardinals or 10 rummynose - I would only go with one schooler because the discus really thrive best in a tank not crammed to the gills with fish - and keeping in mind how much space is being used by plants as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Thanks for the response, reignOfFred. Glad to see someone else follows my leave it be approach of fish keeping. Yeah, I see what you mean about letting the Discus have there space. I may just stick with the Discus I have currently, because I would really like to have a nice school or two of tetras. Who knows, I may completely change my mind on stocking all together . But if I had everything 100% planned out it this adventure wouldn't be near as fun!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

I ended up going with 25 rummy nose, and 25 cardinals. Here is a link to my Journal, let me know what you guys think of the scape so far!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...al-update.html
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
You could easily do 7-8 discus in that tank, with a few dither fish.
If you're only going to keep 5 discus, then you can readily add say 6 each of rummy noses and sterbai cories, along with say 8 cardinals.
I have 10 sub-adult discus in a tank that size, along with about a dozen other fish, a few each of rasboras, cardinals, & cories, one SAE, plus a half dozen Amano shrimp. All in there close to a year now and all doing very well. Mind you, I have strong filtration, 2 -3 X weekly 60% wcs, and a religious tank cleansing/maintenance routine.
Care to have a look ?:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...cuspaul/2tanks
Paul,
Nice clean tank!
I was wondering what type water do you fill with?
regular tap treated with conditioner???

Thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, just conditioned tap water. Our tap water has around 7.0 + pH, and gradually settles in to the tank between 6.6- 6.8.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode