Fish for 90g tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy
I will be setting up a 90gallon planted tank within the next few weeks and have heard many opinions on the type and the amount of fish i should have in a 90g tank....this is the general ideas ive been getting...2-4 adult discus, around the same number of angels, a few cory's, a pleco or 2 and 2 types and shoaling fish probably tetras....figuring about 2 schools of about 10-12fish in each and numerous grass shrimp.........will what i just described work in the 85'ish degree temps that the discus like?.....any other info and/or ideas will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:31 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
That sounds like an excellent mix of fish. The higher temperatures shouldn't bother the other fish. My tank goes up to 86- 87 degrees in the summertime and have never had any trouble with my angels or tetras. Will this be a planted tank? I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. By the way, don't get the discus right away give the tank some time to cycle before you go putting costly discus in there. Good Luck
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
How many people do you know that keep Angels and Discus together successfully? Not a lot. The angels will devour the food before the Discus know it's in the water. I think you need to pick one or the other. Search for info on discus and you'll see what I mean.

I also agree that you should wait at least a month or two before putting in any Discus. Make sure you can maintain the perfect water conditions they need to stay healthy. When you buy the Discus, buy them all at once - at least 3-6 and buy them as large as you can afford. Stay away from wild-caught discus.

For schooling fish - I've tried neons with Angels. They last for a while, but inevitably, they all end up as food. If someone has had prolonged success keeping them together (1+years) then I haven't met them.

My favorite schooling fish are Rasboras and Pristellas. Small, peaceful and they swim in tight schools. You'll love them!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Gulf coast is right. I was stuck on water temperature. Neon tetras are angelfish food but just about any other tetra would be fine with angels. White skirt tetras, black skirt tetras , sarpae tetras, lemon tetras. even black neon tetras would be fine.
Discus on the other hand are not compatible with many other fish. Check out this fish compatability chart below.

http://www.theaquarians.net/fishcompatability.htm
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok im back finally.....yes i know to cycle the tank....in RL i work with a friend of mine and we clean mantain and setups tanks......its just that i couldnt find anyone around here that knew alot about planted tanks etc...and ty for the compatability page.....i havent had much time to look for the answer to this next question but any ideas on the best plants for the tank?......color and hardiness are big considerations.......
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I understand that you know about cycling a tank and allowing the nitrogen cycle to complete, but have you kept Discus before? They're remarkably sensitive to elevated NO3 levels and disease. A planted tank is a great environment for Discus, as NO3 levels are usually low with fast growing plants present. But that's why I recommended you wait several months for the plants to take root and start growing steadily.
But I'll assume for now that you are familiar with Discus husbandry and focus on your plant question...

Before we recommend plants, we need to know more about their proposed environment. Discus aren't fond of bright light, though, so I am going to assume you're going to be setting up a moderate-light planted tank. If your tank is a standard 90 AGA, it's probably 48" x 18" x 25". I don't know if you've already planned your lighting strategy, but a set of two 55w PC lights from www.ahsupply.com, supplemented with two 40w NO flourescents with GE Plant & Aquarium bulbs would be ideal. Just over 2 watts per gallon, which is enough to grow an excellent variety of plants, without creating a stressful environment for the Discus. Even with that much light, a good, tall background screen of stem plants would be ideal to creat some shade for the fish.

The stem plants I've had the most success with are:
- Giant Hygro: Tall stems with long, broad bright green leaves. Grows very quickly in bright light, even does well under moderate light.
- Sagitaria Subtulata: Tall, long dark green leaves. Should do well with the light levels and will grow along water surface to create shaded areas.
- Rotala Indica: May not be as prolific with 2wpg, but should still do fairly well, as long as you supplement CO2.

Which brings me to the next question - what type of CO2 supplementation have you considered? You can grow plants without supplementing CO2, but will most likely be frustrated with the slow growth.

- Sam P -
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes I do know the basics of discus and no I have never kept them before....but i know enough people around this area plus many people on this site that i "think" i will do OK....
havent had much consideration about CO2 until i figure out exactly what i will be doing....one thing i do know is that i WILL have CO2 someway.....and for the lighting issues was going with the 2watts per or in that area......which brings me to another question....is there anyway that you can make "shade paths" for discus incase i wanted to grow some more light hungry plants?.........and as luck has it i might be able to get a 125g for a lower price then the 90 due to some "mishaps" in handling....i will have to make sure the tank is in good condition before i buy ofcourse...and thankyou for the plant suggestions!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ive read a few places that useing undergravel heaters to keep the substrate warmer but not as warm as the water is a good idea to induce good root growth etc..? does this sound like a good thing to do?.....thanks again, Chris
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Normally, gravel heaters are a great idea, but since you'll be keeping the water in the 80's for the discus, you shouldn't need them.

You could definitely make a shaded area for the discus. The entire right side of my tank is very dim towards the bottom. You can see my tank in this site's photo gallery. The Sagitaria Subtulata is what primarily causes the shade. I heartily recommend that plant!

- Sam P -
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 05:26 AM

sounds good!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 03:26 PM

My tank's a 120 with 330w of light, CO2 injection, Tetra substrate, etc. I have 3 large wild Brown discus and 4 assorted tank raised hybrids, all doing well. I have some exotic plecos (a passion), a Ram trio, numerous Corys and use Rummy Nose Tetras and Cardinals for dither, schooling fish. Tank has been doing well (give or take the algae wars) for over three years.
I think you'll find that if you're using a substrate, CO2 and adequate lighting, the plants will provide all sorts of shade. My Amazons' leaves are starting to spread across the surface...of my 24" deep tank. The discus seem happy cruising in the open or lurking in the shady areas under the swords. My target has been to keep this a biotope tank so that all the plants and fish will appreciate the same water and temperature conditions. Seems to be working.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This may seem an obvious thing...but get ALL the plants at once and plant the tank the day after you set it up. I made a big mistake by waiting to plant after it cycled...which I learned was pointless because plants usually use ammonia anyway... Also, get some flourite or SOMETHING like plant substrate and put that in before you fill the tank...it is more difficult adding flourite to an already established tank. This is all from my experience... In addition, if you have an algae problem, do water changes everyother day 20%, that is the ONLY thing that worked for me that didn't also harm the plants, because I also turned the light down but that hurt the plants and I didn't like that!

Gulf Coast, it is too bad my area doesn't get the sagittaria in too often, I'm hoping my jungle val will do a similiar thing that yours does. Also, I just got some more plants, and my amazon sword (that was dieing before) is growing lush green leaves (the leaves are the color of this smiley ) after I added the fertalizer spikes. I recently added some near my vals and near the new amazon sword I got. My family has almost finished the 1 gallon bottle of apple juice I bought for CO2 (hehe) :hehe: so I can double the CO2 going into my tank, though hopefully I will get a pressurized system for Christmas!

-Tim
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 04:15 PM

SHOALING TETRA OPTIONS:

I would recommend something like 8 rummy-nose tetras or 8 Black tetras, people always seem to have the usual cardinals with fish like angels and discus but the slighltly larger tetras like the black tetras would really look goo in an arrangement like yours.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another thing about angels and discus...angels are hosts to many parasites that discus have never been exposed to. I would also introduce the discus first so they can get used to it and have some control when the angels get in.

-Tim
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 03:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well now here is my vote for fish selection ... one of my personal favorites of the Tetra's are the Red Eyes... They are very hardy , they get some good size to them , and the silvery flash from a small school of them is a show in itself. Fun to watch !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode