10 wpg and glosso is still not growing horizontal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 wpg and glosso is still not growing horizontal

I have 2 18w 6700k compact flourescent mini aqualights by coralife and one 20w colormax compact flourescent with built in ballast and super ghetto reflector box hood thing over it....

running 1.5 bps and its only a 5.5 gallon tank, my glossostigma elantoides is growing vertically instead of horizontally for the most part and the ones that are horizontal are still not staying right down on substrate

when I put in my 75 gal I think it grew horizontally from the start, it grows like crazy in there and its same substrate, flourish black, but less light and less co2...

why is this happening, I was only planning on keeping this extra light overtop till I get my fish in on sat and then its gettin the co2 turned down and the middle light taken away as well as lights will be sittin higher on tank as I think 36w seems like alot on a 5.5 gal...

but why is it growing this way? HC is growing real well, and the micro sword and riccia are doing awesome too... dont mind the fungus the driftwood was found in a field...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

and I already cut off 4 of the tops of the glosso as it was almost 2" tall and just growing straight up? what the heck.....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The WPG rule breaks down on tanks 10 gallons and under but 36w should be good for a 5 gal, maybe your reflectors aren't cutting it??
Are you doing pressurized co2? Diy?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I'd say more co2 as well.. Ample Par at the substrate and good co2 down there should keep em short

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
glosso likes substrate ferts and high CO2 IME to grow horizontally...

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can make yourself 3 x 18W spiral compact fluorescent bulbs hood. The par reading for those is 300-800 par. Supply enough CO2 and nutrients. I'm running this hood now but with only 2 bulbs. I want to keep it low-tech.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

the 2 compact flourescents are coralife and have decent reflectors in em, the 20w coralife bulb in the middle obviously doesnt have the best reflector but still.
so right now it has 56 watts of light over it..

I dose the entire seachem line, substrate is flourish and I have 1.5 bubbles per second out of a fluval 88g disposable system with a solenoid so I assure you co2 and nutrients are not the problem.., just check the pearling on the riccia...

the spiral bulbs are not as effecient as the long twin tube ones put in light fixtures and you would accually be runing less watts than I am at 3x18w only coming to 54w
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

how long have you had the glosso? i've never owned it, but people say it ships very poorly, being touchier than other plants.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

the glosso is out of my 75 gallon tank where I have to pull a baseball sized clump out every 2 weeks to keep it from taking over the HC grow perfect in there exact same setup except this tank is using regular well water with TDS around 210 PPM and other tank is part RO and stays around 135 PPM

that tank has less light and less co2 as well... ugh frustrating about to pull it and put in all Marsilea, I just dont like how slow it grows but maybe thats a good thing....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Just keep trimming it. Trim, trim, trim.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode