Fluval tubing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question Fluval tubing

I am in the process of setting up an old 80gal tank that I have with a fluval 404. I want to put a co2 reactor and a heater on the filter output line but I don't know how to do that with the ribbed fluval tubing. Anyone done this or convert the tubing to smooth tubing? If so can you tell me how you made the connections on the canister side of the tubing. Fluval has factory made tubing and connectors all in one peice and I can't see how to work around that.

Also thinking of putting another filter on this tank. What do you all think of the RENA? Are they quiet?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I used a fluval for years with a reactor. You can use the factory tubing from the reactor to the tank. Just be sure to use the end that comes with the factory attached connector for your connection with the reactor. You'll need to pick up some 5/8" ID tubing at Lowes, Home Depot, etc for the filter to reactor connection.

I've not used a Rena but a lot of people do like them. As a recent Fluval to Eheim convert I can however fully recommend an Eheim if you're looking for a change.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I eventually replace all my Fluval hoses with smooth pvc tubing. Off the top of my head, I can't remember whether it's 5/8 or 3/4 tubing for a 405, but I actually think they both worked, the smaller was just really difficult to stretch over the fittings, or maybe I shimmed the larger with smaller tubing. I've done all of those things.

Long story short, switching out for smooth tubing will definitely work.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Either will work. I've used both but 5/8 is the size of the OE tubing. It's easier to find 3/4 fittings for your reactor so you may want to consider 3/4 tubing. Although you can dip the end of 5/8 tubing in boiling water for a few seconds and it will stretch right over the 3/4 fittings.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thanks for your quick replies. I will look into getting some 5/8" tubing tomorrow and see what I can do.

I am trying to decide between the Eheim and the RENA. RENA is available locally but not the eheim. I want a quiet filter that will give me good flow and not have clips and such break. I know Eheim has a long time reputation for being a great filter but The RENA was recommended to me so I am trying to find out more about it.
Maybe I should wait on changing the tubing on the Fluval and put the in-line stuff on the new filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode