old 29 gallon craigslist. Reseal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
old 29 gallon craigslist. Reseal?

So I picked up a 29 gallon with a really nice stand for $50 off of craigslist last night. The stand is really nice, but the tank is pretty old, it was built in 1994, the sticker is still on it haha. Does anyone have experience resealing a tank? Is it risky or is it something that if you do it right, it should be fine? Should I even use this tank? I am a little worried so I thought that I would ask. I'll prob work on resealing it tonight if its safe and effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I bought a used 29 gal tank in 1997 and am still using it today with no problem. It has never leaked or anything else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fill it up with water and see how it holds. As long as it's holding water and the seals don't feel dry and brittle you should be fine. Resealing it certainly can't hurt if you know what you are doing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Resealing doesn't mean just running a bead of silicone over the seam that is already there, just in case there was any confusion. You would actually have to strip all the previous silicone off and start from scratch. I have not ventured into that aspect of tank keeping because personally I don't trust myself. I'd rather buy it from someone else who I can blame when/if it ever fails...

Like everyone else said though, if it holds without leaking any water, you're usually good. Look at the seams head on and make sure there is little to no air bubbles in the silicone. It should be clean, even, and relatively clear.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Fill it up with water and see how it holds. As long as it's holding water and the seals don't feel dry and brittle you should be fine. Resealing it certainly can't hurt if you know what you are doing.

^ This. All my tanks are used, take it out side on a nice dry day, fill'er up, check for leaks (let it sit for a few hours filled), if none you are good to go. If you see leaks then reseal.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes I know that I would be stripping the old silicone off of the seams. but I wouldn't mess with the stuff inside of the seams that holds the glass together. I just don't though, hell the tank is 17 years old... I may buy a new one. Decisions decisions.

Also I got a jebo/Odessea 4 canister filter for 20 bucks. its rated at like 310 gph haha is this absurd for a 29 of could I just do a spray bar and be okay?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
The strength of the tank is at those glass-to-glass seams and not the corner bead seen in some production tanks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I reseal all my used tanks (even tanks I tear down and plan on setting back up within a week). I would rather have a brand new seal for the long haul than an old one. I've seen tanks pass a water test only to fail a week later. a 5 dollar tube of silicone is a heck of a lot cheaper than flora, faun, and whatever incidental damage may arise.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Yea I always re seal all new tanks, I bought a few for craigslist...even my 90 gallon, yea i told the kid to fill it up before I made an offer..

always fill before buying.

Tags
broken, reseal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode