What is the best temperature ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question What is the best temperature ?

What is the best temperature for growing plants in an aquascaping setting/with Co2 + T5 x 4 lighting(24in.)

Thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe most folks keep their tanks between 75-80 degrees F. It mostly depends on what fish you want in there... I keep my tank at 78.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
It is definitely more important to keep your fish at their proper temperature I feel. Plants, and really fish for that matter, will all acclimate to whatever tropical temp you provide. It is just always safer to base the temp off your fish. Some tanks go as low as 72, but only certain fish prefer that. I got 7 tanks and only one is at 74. The rest are all at 78-80. My pressurized CO2, planted tank with T-5 HO runs at 79

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
84 =]

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter. Tank at home is a bit more stable at 76-78. Tanks at the shop with more drastic changes in room temperature throughout the year it's more like 73-80. I can heat the shop tanks warmer but don't see the benefit of a higher electric bill. July and August at the shop I'm lucky to keep it below 80 when it's in the low 90's at 7am in building.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tank Temp for Plants

Hello edle. Most tropical aquatic plants will do well in a fairly wide range of tank temps. If you have your heaters set somewhere in the middle of the 64 to 82 degree range, your plants will be fine.

I keep my tanks between 74 and 76 degrees, but that's more for my fish, but the plants haven't complained.

B
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi to everyone here and thanks for the reply.
I'm new to the site and I'm planning to get into aquascaping. I like the calming effect that I felt when I watching the aquascape. It is very relaxing. I'm planning to get a 24 x 12 x 14iin. tank, get some nice rocks and substrate. My pal will supply me with all the plants. The filter with be a Fluval 404. I would like to know if I can skip the tank heater. I think they are ugly and too man made. I wonder if those water plant can survive and growing in 68 degree F. Does it grow slower in cooler temperature. Also what kind of very small fishes can I use in the temperature.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It depends on the tank really. Most plants are happy enough at regular aquarium temperatures.

I've found some plants like lower temps around 68-70F, while swords will melt at this temperature. few seem to do very well much over 82F IME though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is the low temperature(20 to 22 degree C) good for my aqua plant which consists of mostly Ground Cover like Pellia-fern moss, Christmas moss ? 20 to 22 degree C

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode